Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
frazerp

Cloth Rod bag

6 posts in this topic

Looking for a few cloth/fabric rod bags for 2 piece surf rods 68" to 72" ???

Have a few for my UK Penn Extreme Vengeance & anyfish anywhere, but don't see any in the tackle shops, ebay, etc !!!!

Know anybody handy with a sewing machine? My buddy's wife made me up some from cheap fleece fabric. They are essentially long brown socks - 8' for my two piece stuff and 13' for the one piece rods (or two piece not broken down). She made them wide enough that I can get two or three rods in each but could be made skinnier for one at a time. The extra length allows me to tie a loose knot in the end before securing them to the roof of my Equinox via my Thule ski rack. The blue bag in the back of the two long brown ones in the picture is a ski bag with my son's two piece rods in it. It works well also and has a shoulder strap.

Regards

Puck

post-22984-0-73686100-1451403166_thumb.jpg

You can buy the fabric at Home Depot it comes in 10 or 100' rolls it used for to wrap 4" drain pipe to keep silt out. All you have to do is cut the length you want and seal one by sewing or even tying a knot in one end. They are 4" in diameter. I had some one sew a stitch down the center and you can put 2 piece rod in a shorter sock. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Drain-Sleeve-4-in-x-100-ft-Preloaded-Drain-Sleeve-34140-6/203092475post-33831-0-62985500-1451434988_thumb.jpeg

Joanns or any fabric store should have literally hundreds of selections of fabric types and colors you can choose from. You can also go wild and customize it however you want if (microfiber inner layer, super strong suede outer layer, extra cushioning on the bottom and top, a top flap with velcro, etc...).  Bring your rods to the store and have the ladies there to help you measure up how much you need. You can then ask them for referrals to a seamstress if they can't create it for you right on the spot. You can also ask any decent clothing shop that does at least alterations or essentially anyone who has a sewing machine to knit it up for you. 

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0