Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tommyv

Smoking help

Rate this topic

54 posts in this topic

Chantix helped me kick a 20 + year, 1 1/2 - 2 pack a day habit. God do I feel better. It's not an easy road, and you will weaken and fail a few times, but it's all worth it when you can breathe easily again.

Identify and avoid the triggers, and if they can't be avoided, have something on hand to replace the cig or be so conscious of it, that you will your way through the urge. Initially it's the subconscious reflex that you need to overcome, then, once the body realizes that its not getting the regular nicotine fix, that's when the mind games start ... ever tried to play chess against yourself? It's hard, but absolutely do-able. Warn your family beforehand, because chances are, you're going to be a dick for a while ... they'll understand and be supportive (I apologized in advance, warned them, asked them to just roll with the punches, but to never try and be sympathetic ... everyone's different though). Beware week 2, that's when the mind games are the most difficult (IMHO), the physical cravings are pretty much over but the mind is still in torment (fewer but more intense).

Reach out, vent, walk , talk to yourself, talk to others ... it does get easier and only later will you appreciate your own strength of character. Good luck.

You have all the incentive and more than most to quit, I'll assume your mid 40's at least, two sons 5 and 7, wouldn't you like to live and see them at  your age? Maybe see and experience Grandkids? Now, your kids have asked you to quit, you not only should, you must. Its not a matter of weakness and strength or determination, its something you need to decide in your mind that your more tired of than in love with and are sick of being a slave to them. In addition, the health issues you will face can be avoided.

Just for fun, quit for 3 months and secretly put  the daily smoke money in a coffee can, after 3 months surprise the kids with their prize and let them buy something of their choice. Even at a pack a day, your probably looking at $250 a month minimum. You'll make an important impression on them for life and they will always know their Dad would do anything for them. Set an example for your sons. 

In all my days, I never met anyone that quit that regretted it, make a list of the pros and cons of smoking, the pro side will be a very short list. 

Edited by Highlander1

I quit cold turkey, but it took about 10 years and at least 10-15 attempts. Quit 3-4 weeks to a few months, bum them for a month or two until I got back up to a pack every couple of days then start buying again, rinse, repeat. Hardest thing I ever did. Last cold turkey attempt took and haven't smoked since ~ '93. Peaked at about 3 - 3 1/2 packs a day mid 80s till around 90 with a lot of attempts to quit during that time. The thing that finally got me to stop was figuring out the cost (in money) I was burning. Even at only a buck/ buck and quarter a pack it was expensive. With today's prices at what $6/7 a pack - $18/21 a day! Wow. 

I'm not typically keen on pharmaceuticals but after all my other attempts failed I took my doc. up on the script.  Have been smoke free for five years.  Just sharing what was successful for me.

Here is the pdf file containing the the book.

This book has helped many members here quit.

It has also helped many of my friends and family members quit smoking, some of which had a 40 + year history of smoking.

Good Luck !

http://web-profile.com.ua/wp-content/uploads/allen-carrs-easy-way-to-stop-smoking.pdf

Dennis  :)

Chantex really does work. I quit while i was on deployment in the navy by using chantex, i eventually picked up the bad habit 2 years after quittimg then smoked very lightly, (less then half a pack a day) then i tryed vaping and never looked back. I started on 24MGs on Nicotine with vaping. That is a $HIT TON!!, and im now down to 0 MG so no nicotine at all. And it really does not bother me at all to be honest. I guess its because i gradually tapered down. I think this new year i will give up the vaping BS seeimg as there is no point besides some of the flavors are delicious lol. Just thought i would share some ideas with you. Good luck. I hope you can quit. Its a nasty an expensive habit. I live in CT and just think when you come back here you are paying 10$ a pack for smokes if that isnt enought to make people quit, then j dont know what is lol.

Good luck,

And happy new years,

Chris

I down loaded the book I really have to quit,the vap thing didn't help me :(

Good luck ,chin up, stiff upper lip and all that...

Edited by redfishkiller

I smoked for 37 years. I read that book that everyone is talking about and haven't smoked in four years now.

And don't listen to these idiots that say it's hard. It was so ****ing easy I wish I did it thirty years ago.

Cold turkey here 10 years. Had issues sleeping for about 2 weeks. When the obsession came to smoke I asked god to remove that obsession. It worked.

I've never smoked so I can't help you other than to wish you luck. My wife quit smoking 30 years ago after she started to lose sensitivity in the ends of her fingers. Doctor said it in part was due to her smoking. She quit cold turkey and I'm very proud of her. On a side note to this day when my wife is around smokers she says she still gets a craving.