Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wendell

Twist Tube

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Been having a great time exploring the world of tubes. Love the idea of not having to buy a 600sp every time I want to tie a fly.

The post about complex twists really got my wheels turning. One of the first "new" techniques I've come across in a long time. So I gave it a spin... Pink marabou, bronze mallard and palmer chenille. The marabou and mallard were single sided. The chenille flash got burried a bit and I didn't pick it out much from fear of breaking the marabou stem. But all and all I really dig it.

Two yak wings and an ice dub body. Finished with a few turns of pheasant. Same old two step.

post-13369-0-82424800-1450981511_thumb.jpeg

post-13369-0-30399800-1450981566_thumb.jpg

post-13369-0-49769700-1450981601_thumb.jpg

Refreshing to see your name splash the board Wendell.

Tubes = much fun.  Are you familiar with Jerry French of OPST and his composite loops? Wicked **** happening right there, no joke.  For example, the intruders pictured here are tied using only two composite dubbing loops.

post-13225-0-66043600-1450985895_thumb.jpg

post-13225-0-53384300-1450985921_thumb.jpg

Firstly... Those are rad.

Secondly... It's always great to see your stuff.

Thirdly... I am hip to the composite loops. I'm a big dubbing loop guy so it was a natural progression for me. Should have given it a name and put it on YouTube. I especially like to load the loop with barbules of stuff that typically sticks together. Like Amherst and mallard paired with a bunch of Arctic fox guard hairs and some flash. Spikie. I'll try to find some pics. Just wish I could tie steel head flies all winter and still have plenty of dish rags to fish Stripers come spring!

Lastly... Have a happy and healthy holiday.