Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
surgeonfish

is this rod good for canal jiging Daiwa COASTAL SALT PRO CLSP1202HFS

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I would say no, as a 12' rod is too long, in my opinion.

In the $200 range, I'd suggest:

TFO Surf 10'6"

St Croix Mojo 2-6oz

Tsunami Airwave Elite 3-6oz

All 3 I listed are significantly lighter than that.  Also, the Airwave Elite is currently on sale on Tackle Direct for $150.  Tough to beat for that price range.  

I use a 10'6 rod for jigging and wouldn't recommend longer than 11'.  

Edited by TLap21

3 great rod suggestions. And point about the trees.

Of those 3 rods, I've used the 10'6" Mojo 2-6 for one season at the canal. I've also used the Mojo 11' 3-8 for another. Personal preference is the 11-- because I feel it's a little more sure footed when throwing 4oz, and for pulling fish off the bottom in current.

However, most guys seem to like the 2-6. It's definitely more comfortable to use. And it works some of the smaller lures like sp's and 1-1.5oz jigs much better. But it still has enough backbone to throw 4oz. I wouldn't throw 5 with it, but then again.. how many times each season do you throw a 5oz jig? Not many.

Schoolies are also more fun to catch on the 2-6... and since a large chunk of each season's fish are schoolies- thats no small thing. Lastly, that shorter 6" on overall length means you'll miss a few tip whacks into trees and other hazards throughout the season. Whether you're casting in front of trees, hiking out to a spot, or just manuevering the damn rod through doors and up the stairs.

My.02