Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mebe007

carrying gear

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

I've dropped enough hints to be sure and sent the Simm's website link to her iPad.  Not sure what else I can do other than making sure I keep up with the honey-do list. :)   From what reviews I can find it looks really well built.   I also have an old LL Bean small backpack I use on my kayak that's seen better days and I can see this being handy for my phone, wallet, keys, etc.

How's the zipper?   One of the video reviews looked like a little muscle was needed to open and close the thing..  

HT

Posted (edited)

I've dropped enough hints to be sure and sent the Simm's website link to her iPad.  Not sure what else I can do other than making sure I keep up with the honey-do list. :)   From what reviews I can find it looks really well built.   I also have an old LL Bean small backpack I use on my kayak that's seen better days and I can see this being handy for my phone, wallet, keys, etc.

How's the zipper?   One of the video reviews looked like a little muscle was needed to open and close the thing..  

HT

HT.....All the T zips require a little extra effort to pull close and open. There are pull grabs on both sides of zipper to make it easier and bag comes with zipper lube. I have no problem with the zipper being on the firm side, it's a minor trade off for insuring contents remains bone dry. I'm very happy with the quality of this pack.

******Atention Sling Pack Owners****** I find it much easier getting into a sling pack if instead of putting it over your head by keeping the bottom strap attached and the side strap unbuckled (like they show on videos) you do it in reverse. Leave bottom strap unbuckled and side strap attached....this will allow you to put your arm through like puting on a jacket. Much easier...... I would think this method should work with all brands of sling packs. Give it a try and tell me what you think.

BC 

Edited by Black Clouser

As a general principle pack as little as you can. That way you stay more mobile and less tired. Most stuff we lug in never gets used. It is for comfort factor only.

I wear a surf belt with a medium sized plug bag no inserts. I can get a days kit in there. If you surf fly fish you and your gear will get wet. Pointless thinking you can prevent that. If your gear can't take a wetting it aint worth carting to the ocean.

Pockets are great.

Mike

I've got the Simms Headwaters sling pack and love it, but those new packs look pretty sweet.  Either way, I'll also give a vote for the sling pack.

Posted (edited)

I use my slingpack all the time and the only strap I use is the one that goes over the shoulder, I never use the strap that goes around the waist, I think in our group of  6 that use the sling pack I have never seen the waist strap get used once.

In the NE with waders, wading belts, wading jackets and stripping baskets there are just to many things for the waist strap to get hung up on when trying to rotate the bag. 

:witty:   The most important thing of all, especially as you get older is when it becomes an absolute must to shed all the gear is when nature calls, at that point it is critical and you do not want to be fussing with one more belt. 

Edited by bonefishdick

HillTop, If you've been good this year your gonna like your present :th: . This pack is sweet.

BC

oaqal4.jpg

Must have been good this year BC! Had one under the tree yesterday.

It's as you described, well made. I was a little worried about the size since images on the Web didn't give me any perspective to how big/small it was. Have to say for me it's just about right, not too big or too small and should be just about right for my gear, phone and a water bottle.

HT

Posted (edited)

HT, I like the not to big or to small and just about right description.  I guess there must be a little of "Goldilocks" in the Mrs. and that is always a good thing. 

I also dropped a few hints and I started back in June when my daughter came to visit when in Sanibel. There were a few shirts that I liked when we went to visit in Norm's shop. Norm is a great guy and the women when they meet him all love him and I have learned to use that to my advantage, My wife met Norm a number of years ago and now I benefit from that as well so I would highly recommend that anyone who goes to Sanibel and visits Norm shop that they bring their wife or daughter into he shop with them. 

I really have become a big fan of theses shirts and now I am the proud owner of two more. One from my daughter and one from my wife.

post-26978-0-36728900-1451149903_thumb.jpg

post-26978-0-93505800-1451149976_thumb.jpg

I also got a little local flavor from my son's girlfriend who knows I like to fish in Chatham which has been one of my favorite stomping grounds for a very long time now. She got me this because of what is now a local topic of discussion to both those that don't and do fish and those that used to like to go swimming there.

post-26978-0-08650400-1451150190_thumb.jpg

Mrs. Clause also came through with my newest Snook reel and my son with the clear sink tip to go with it.

post-26978-0-29405000-1451151177_thumb.jpg

It really does pay to be a good boy. I think we are both very fortunate with that and it makes looking forward to the New Year more special !.

Edited by bonefishdick

I have 2 sling packs, one I bought used and one new.  The bigger one is great for shlepping a lot of gear, water, food and extra clothes when fishing long days in the fall when weather around here can go from great to snotty real quick. The smaller one is great fro less stuff, so I use it for freshwater.

Neither is waterproof, but I can see how that could be a real advantage ....

Posted (edited)

I always thought sling packs were for sissies until a good friend showed me how convenient they are for stashing stuff, including the wading jacket i usually wind up taking off as the day warms.  Plenty of room for flies, leader material, phone, snack bar and assorted other crap that I no longer have to worry about falling out of a pocket into the drink.  Got mine a short time ago and although it hasn't seen use yet, I am looking forward to having it with me on my back bay forays in the spring.

Edited by Spigola

Norm is a great guy and the women when they meet him all love him and I have learned to use that to my advantage, My wife met Norm a number of years ago and now I benefit from that as well so I would highly recommend that anyone who goes to Sanibel and visits Norm shop that they bring their wife or daughter into the shop with them. 

I'm heading to Norm's for the first time in about an hour...and I'm taking my wife. Lol! We're down here on vacation for the week and I'll be casting the 8wt a bit soon.

Does anyone have any experience with a decent fishing life jacket and a stripping basket?

life jacket for on a kayak? I wear an nrs chinook along with my rexfly basket and have had no issues as of yet.