Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianBM

Charts for Surfcasters

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

I am looking to pick up charts of local inlets

(Jones, FII, Moriches, Shinnecock) that I can mark up with a grease pencil. Maybe even spend the price of an hour's small plane rental and go for a survey at low tide, at the start of the beach driving season, and mark some interesting structure. Any recommendations on charts - brand or type?

BrianBM why would you want to waste your money on Navigational Charts(without having a boat)and a plane ride to survey the coastal area? When you can look at "FREE" navigational charts and ariel photos. Yes I said "FREE". Check out Maptech.

[This message has been edited by FLYRODDER (edited 01-17-2002).]

Not a bad idea in MHO. I know they sell those waterproof plastic charts for about $25

or $30 but I'm not sure of the brand name, Capt seagull maybe? Captain something i think. West marine or boaters world should have them. Hey, couple a good chart with a handheld GPS, which are pretty cheap these days, (probably cheaper than a plane ride)and a logbook, you could build yourself a pretty good database of solid structure in a very short time. Not a bad idea at all, hmmmmm, not a bad idea at all.

Flyrodder is on the money. Maptech RULES!

I was down in Sarasota a few weeks ago. Before I left I saved, printed and taped together the series of aerials that showed the entire bay. You should have seen the faces of some of the old timers I was talking to (leaching info from) when I whipped this thing out and said "You mean right here?".

If you save the images you can print them out fresh for each trip. Having multiple copies allows you to mark them up with permanent ink adding notes and anything else to help you remember a spot along with fish caught, conditions and technique used.

------------------

"Any time a man ain't fishin' he's fritterin' away his life." - Rancid Crabtree

Altough a great resource, the aerial photos on map tech can be quite old. If you are looking for sand bars they may have shifted over time. The nautical charts are not bad, you could print them out and laminate them. Another aerial photo site is www.terraserver.com Good luck,Dave

BrianBM,

Try A marine supply store like West Marine. They have navigational charts in the waterproof version which you could mark up with a grease pencil(about $20-$30) or you can also pick up a Capt Seagull's "sportfishing chart- South Shore of Long Island" which is already laminated, but is smaller and does not have the same amount of detail as the navigational charts. Good Luck!

Mully, there's a site somewhere that I've used before where you can actually choose an exact area and they'll make you a map for like $16. Lemme look around my many bookmarks icon15.gificon15.gif

TimS

BrianBM quote:

....'cuz I can carry them in the Explorer and mark them up over the season. Y'know, food for thought, that sorta thing.

So no thank you and just throw an insult my way. huh! Well Brian if you couldn't figure it out I was trying to help you. All you had to do was to copy and save the charts and photos then just print them out. Then you would've been able to carry them in the Explorer. But I guess thats asking a little to much from you. Thats the last time I'll give you any info.

Westhavendave writes:

Altough a great resource, the aerial photos on map tech can be quite old.

I'm not sure where your getting your info from but your wrong. On September 12 the day after the WTC disaster the ariel photos from maptech of downtown Manhattan showed nothing but a smoking mess.

Flyrodder,I beg to differ. The reason I say that is because the photo of my neighborhood,two blocks from the beach, is a least ten years old, due to the fact that the houses built at the end of my street, built ten years ago. are not even in the photo. The WTC photo was probably posted from some satellite they have access to. Look closely at an area you know well and you may find the same thing. Most of these photos are U.S. government surveys and are sometimes quite old. Dave