Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
apoc197777

New at fly fishing, some help needed

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

Hi guys.

I've been fishing for many years but never have i tried fly fishing. But recently it has really peeked my attention.

I have a few salmon/trout, bass and a few other rods with spinning reels. I was told that all i would need is an 8 weight to catch salmon trout and fish like bass/carp/pike and other smaller fish. Do i really need a 9 or 10 weight or would 8 be a perfect fit? Also are there websites that would have good deals on rod/reel combos or is it better to buy them separately? 

Thank you.

Hi guys.

I've been fishing for many years but never have i tried fly fishing. But recently it has really peeked my attention.

I have a few salmon/trout, bass and a few other rods with spinning reels. I was told that all i would need is an 8 weight to catch salmon trout and fish like bass/carp/pike and other smaller fish. Do i really need a 9 or 10 weight or would 8 be a perfect fit? Also are there websites that would have good deals on rod/reel combos or is it better to buy them separately? 

Thank you.

it is best to find your local reputable fly shop and have them set you up.

It will save you time and money and get you started in a good direction.

Your greatest need is for casting instruction, so go to a fly shop.

Generically, an 8wt is fine for what you've described, and a lighter rod would cover most of it just as well. That said, the devil is in the details. Most trout waters are better fished with a 5wt and there are places where that would be too much too.

But some stores will push me to buy more expensive stuff, that is why i need some opinions on how much i should be spending. I went to bass pro and was quoted 300 bucks for beginners set up

But some stores will push me to buy more expensive stuff, that is why i need some opinions on how much i should be spending. I went to bass pro and was quoted 300 bucks for beginners set up

Apoc,

You might want to inquire, either at our local BP shop or a simple Google search, and try to find a local fly fishing club in your area.   They seem to be everywhere and most are looking to increase & welcome new membership.  Annual dues are usually next to nothing.    When I started  to get back into FF a couple of years ago I found 2 clubs close to me.   One that is primarily SW fly fishing and the other 50/50 SW/FW.    

Most of these clubs are made up of guys and gals that have been doing this for a very long time (average age in both my clubs are probably 50's & 60's).  The wealth of experience and knowledge available is significant and there always seems to be plenty of folks willing to offer help.    Additionally many clubs have for sale tables setup at monthly meetings for guys to sell their used equipment, etc.    

I personally found these clubs a great resource and it helped immensely getting back up to speed.   In addition you'll probably find guys who live by who you can buddy up with and go fishing with as well.

Just my $0.02

HT

Posted (edited)

Well a few years ago I went to cabelas in hamburg and told the guy I was looking to start fly fishing. He hooked me up with a combo that was half the price as the one I was looking at. The guys in the fly shop were very knowledgable and did me right. The big box stores get a bad name but I had no complaints. By the way I got a 89.00 combo 5 wt that I still use. the only thing i changed was the fly line since the fly line, in my humble opinion, really matters more then the rod and that thing that holds the line.I was worried that a cheapie would frustrate me. The guy at cabelas assured me the rod would not frustrate me and he was right. I have added a few more fly rods but I still use the 5 wt for probably 75% of my fly rodding.

I learned from youtube. Maybe a little from my father who was a life long fly fishermen but I really did not take up the fly rod until after his passing. It's not difficult and I'm not sure why it is held out to be. It's just different from what you have been doing. The rod really depends on what you will be fishing for and the size of the flies you will be fishing. You can already rule out 1,2 and 3 wts which are nothing more then niche rids for people with more money then me. If your going to target stream trout and stream bass a 5 wt is a good choice. You can use it for panfish, trout and bass. If your focusing just on trout a 4 wt would be my suggestion. If your fishing rivers or lakes for bass then you may want a 6 or 7 wt. if your throwing giant bass poppers then maybe a 7 or 8 wt.

A 9 or 10 wt is a big rod and is way overkill for freshwater unless you are targeting the very largest of fresh water species like pike musky, and goliath carp. Fly rods are more task oriented then spinning gear so you really have to first decide what exactly its purpose will be. Jump right in, you will get the hang of it quicker then you think.

Edited by poopdeck

You can buy good gear for reasonable money these days. The budget setting is key. Good Fly shops should be able to help you. Not easy treading the mine field of so many differing opinions that you will get on a forum.

Lots of ways to learn these days. In my day it was good old fashioned books and they are still relevant today. 

Whats key is that it is a simple sport and you can get started very quickly.

The biggest mistake most new Guys make is focusing on the gear rather than how to use it. If you can get to cast first it will help you sort out the rod you will like.  My suggestion as your first port of call is to get some casting lessons. You will never regret doing this for one second.

Mike

It is so hard to give advice or even comment when we don't even know where you will be fishing. I am assuming that most of your fishing will be fresh water based on your description of fish. The other thing is that we don't know what you have around you with regards to a Big Box store or a local fly shop or if you even know someone who fly fishes that sort of knows what he is doing.

I would say based on what your talking about I am not sure that an 8 wt might be to much. If your limited to a big box store you may find they have someone who actually knows what they are talking about that can really help you. I have been in some of these stores and I have more once listened to people getting help that made me cringe. The thing is this time of year there is a lot of hired hep for the holidays and getting help could be a crap shoot. I think you know enough about fishing that you should be able to decide if you are talking to a knowledgeable associate.

As stated set your budget and stick to it. Again I am thinking more along the line of a 6 weight based on what you have said.

More info about where you would be helpful.

key word...REPUTABLE.

lots of other good advice listed as well.

local library visit for books is free.

some good (and bad casting) video can be found on youtube

search well known names

If you are fishing for trout a 5 weight will be fine, if you plan to target steelhead or salmon a 8 or 9 weight rod makes more sense. The 8 or 9 weight rod could also be used for striped bass, bluefish and false albies as well. Look for a used outfit if you want to save some money.

Thanks guys. Did not have internet for a while so i could not reply. This is what i found. I can do local store $160 everything in but if something goes wrong, i have to buy again. In big store (bass pro), i can get everything in $320 and if something breaks i get brand new back. So i am not sure whether to try and save money now or in the long run. Fly fishing looks like a lot of fun. As for the areas I'll be fishing. I have just moved to hamilton and i do not know any places to fish here at all or even what i'll catch; probably just bass, trout and same stuff that i'd catch in niagara falls. But steelhead and bigger bass can get to pretty decent size. Both places suggested i get an 8 weight to be safe and that 5wt would work but i would need to fight fish for a while and some fish may not make it after.

Your kind of all over the board on what you want to fish for. An 8wt is a poor choice for trout and SM bass as well as large mouth bass unless your targeting world record class fish and throwing large bulky flies. If by Hamilton you mean Hamilton NJ your not gonna need an 8 wt. I routinely catch river and creek SM and LM bass up to 18" on a 5wt. It's plenty of rod for bass and jersey trout. If you plan on tossing large bulky bass flies then you may want to step up to a 6 or 7 wt for the bass fishing but in no way would you use an 8 wt for trout or jersey bass. I still hold that an 8wt is to much for what I think you want it for but again its not really clear what your after. There is no one size fits all and you really need to be specific with your needs. If your chasing steelhead then an 8 wt is an excellent choice.

I would question the advice you got at both stores if they both recommended an 8wt but again I'm still not really sure what you want to fish for with it. The $320 for a starter outfit seems on the high side for a starting set up. I paid 89 bucks on sale for my first 5 wt rod, reel, and line combo at cabelas after wanting to buy a more expensive outfit but the guy told me I did not need a better one. He was right, I now have better rods but still use and like the original rather regularly and it's my only 5wt.