Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Alan Hawk

What was your saddest fish loss story..?

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

More than 45 years of fishing. Who remembers any more. If pressed though I'd have to it's got to be those fish on a party boat that slip the hook while waiting for a slow poke mate with a net or gaff. Especially when it would have been the $$ fish for the day.

Spigola

Spooled atop a bridge that no longer exists on an eel. Fish took off with the current, and I never turned it. Got a 25# no prob the night before. frown.gif

Also had a large on at Mecca when a bluefish blitz got between me and the bass and that was that.

The first one would have definitely been a personal best.

point in buxton, OBX. throwing a 6oz hopkins on my beef stick (conv. lami 6-16oz. heaver). Bass on, big bass on........... my first 40 for sure.

Problem is....... there are 100 other guys fishing and 10 or so are hooked up. All the fish move south to north around the tip and get landed on north side. I get fish in w/i 30 or yds. and sit awaiting my turn to get access to the spot to land the fish. Trying to be calm, polite, etc.

Tragedy strikes, the 11th guy who hooks up cranks like a mother, tries to storm past me, arounf the tip, and his 34" bass crosses over my line and rolls it up. My fish-------------- c/ya mad.gif

Thats the way Point fishing goes redface.gif

People are idiots, man. Jeez. That makes me mad.gif hearing that.

It can be so pleasant when you fish with a group of guys who know what they're doing. If everyone helps each other out, everyone will have a blast.

Fall of 99 I think it was, was in south Jersey at a state park / lake. Gizzard shad were schooled up with Large Mouths chasing them. Caught a few smallish fish, <3 pounds or so on various baits.

Tied on a perch colored crank bait and on my second cast to a brush pile I hooked a fish that I could not turn smile.gif . I’ve caught a few big fish over the years and some fish that can really take drag, but this was by far the best “pull” I have ever felt for the equipment I was using Vs. the species I was fishing for, well, maybe except for Tarpon wink.gif .

Had the fish on for about 3 or 4 minutes, she was dragging me all around in the boat, and pealing line. She took me around the boat 2 times before I saw her eek.gif . It was a 10 + pounder easy. I got her to the side of the boat, and at the same time I had a brain fart of biblical proportions frown.gif . I tightened down the drag a bit to drag her closer, with one shake of her head, that fish snapped fresh 12# line like it was 10 year old sun beatin 2 pound mono crying.gif . I was close to, but didn’t slam my rod down on the deck. I was pumped enough that I just sat there for more than 5 minutes. My hands were shaking from the adrenaline, and I love that feeling you get after landing a good fish.

I’ve dropped plenty of fish before and am sure I’ll drop plenty more, but never one of those fish. Those fish are the 10# large mouth, 50# striped bass, the 8+ fluke or a 10 # weakfish, you know the goal fish.

I still think quite a bit about that fish.

Would have to say about 5 years ago at the rip at Sandy Hook. Was tossing metal and teasers one morning with some freinds when I hooked into what felt to be a decent size fish. After fighting the fish into waist deep water I couldnt get it to budge any further. I could see it was a striper with the head the size of a soccer ball. In desperation and a bit of stupidity I went in after it and just as I was reaching down to grab it's lip it jerked it's head to the side. The leader finally gave way, my gear went flying back to the beach and I was on my butt soaking wet sitting in the surf.

Not the largest fish per se, but the largest for the circumstances and it happened last week.

Finally got a chance between soccer and baseball games/practices to get out for an evening of trout fishing on a local creek by the office here. Dug a bunch of garden worms and out I went. Caught a bunch of small browns and kept a few of the 12"'s for dinner. I was fishing a riffle/cut which stretches into deep slow water which ordinarily is full of chubs.(the slow water) I figured the water is still cold and the chubs haven't quite gotten happy so I tossed one back against the bank on the other side about 20' away.

One big "rap" and I stick it gently. Well a 20"+ native brown goes straight up thrashing as only a native fish can. eek.gif Beautiful fish, orange lots of cream and yellow it comes splashing down and shoots straight up stream rippin' off line to the riffle, panics and shoots back across the stream into a dogwwod bush growing into the water. I see him there trashing so I go across in my waders to undo the tangle. The fish sees me and freaks out heading downstream into the roots of a sycamore tree still taking line. I get the line free from the dogwood and reel down to see if he's still there. Yup he's on but I can feel the abrasions on the root and the snap off he goes. redface.giffrown.gif

I've caught numerous browns in the 17" range and one fish that was a bit over 19" in my life. This trout was all of that and some. I simply stood there gently shaking my head and smiling to myself. The rest of the evening on the stream was different as if I'd had enough but didn't want to leave. Just nice to be able to take it all in!

I typically use 4lb line and this was the only time I felt really undergunned for the situation. There really wasn't anyhting else I could have done and I wouldn't have changed a thing 'cept for losin' him. wink.gif

I could list big fish lost everyday for a long time but here is one of my favorites. A couple of miles off Miami with a nice size Sailfish on 12 lb line. Well into the battle I had the Sail pretty well beat but they can revive at the boat and start over if they get a mind to. Anyway with the fish about 70 yards out on top a Pellican flies into the line and gets tangled up in it about 40 yards out the sail takes a dive and down goes the pellican under the water. I fought fish and pellican for a hile and had the Pellican at the boat. Put a little to much pressure trying to pull the Pellican abord and snap good by Sail and pellican!!!!!

In 1998 I lost my annual rental on MV. A perfect little shack on the beach in Chilmark. A week or more there every fall for 30 years! The owner gave me a break on the cost, too. A private honey hole just steps from the front door. Too bad I couldn't get the millions needed to buy the place when it was sold. Here come those tears again.

Walking South working the surf on a moonlit night throwing a Gibbs popper.

I walk out of the water onto the beach to cross a jettie, as I get to the other side of the jettie I see her. Big lips feeding on the surface. I go into stealth and creep futher south and into the water. I can see the fish so I throw the plug towards the end of the jettie thinking I'll work it in towards her. WRONG!

The plug hit the water and the fish instantly bolts and inhales the plug litterally trying to rip the rod out of my hands. This fish was powerful. The drag was screeming for a good twenty yards, I panicked and tried to set the hook and she was gone. frown.gif

Never felt something so powerful on the end of my line. I should have let her run and swallow. Live and learn. This was at 2:30 AM and at 7am walking home was heart rate was still up, it pounded for at least three hours. I'll never forget that night.

In 1998 I lost my annual rental on MV. A perfect little shack on the beach in Chilmark. A week or more there every fall for 30 years! The owner gave me a break on the cost, too. A private honey hole just steps from the front door. Too bad I couldn't get the millions needed to buy the place when it was sold. Here come those tears again.

And if ya bought it 30 yrs ago, you'd be a retired millionaire by now!! waaah.gif

Freshwater: I had a story kinda similar to EdJ's. Had to be about 15 years ago I'm fishing a small South Jersey lake. The previous year my dad had taken his personal best LMB, a 6 3/4lber from lake "X". I'm fishing in a 6ft dinghy redface.gif tossing a perch colored Rapala. I get a heavy, hard hit and line starts peeling. I'm using ultra light equiptment with 6lb test line. Like Ed, I manage to get the bass up to the side of the boat, it's HUGE! I reach for my net, she makes one last hard pull and SNAP goes the line. crying.gif End of story.

Saltwater: Only one that haunts me was 2 falls ago on the surf at IBSP. I begin fishing alone about 3:00am. On just my third cast with a large black Danny swimmer I feel a hit that nearly pulls the rod from my grip. The fish starts pulling line for only about 5 seconds when all goes limp. As I reel in I'm not feeling my lure so I'm figuring maybe a big bluefish had cut through my leader. Upon inspection I see my knot failed. mad.gif Hard lesson learned about tying proper knots. Cost me one big fish and one Danny plug. rolleyes.gif