Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hawkoath

Benefits/Cons of using a Clip vs. a Snap Swivel

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

Ta clips are pretty much all i use anymore.....ran the gamut with the other brands.......sometimes they're a bit tricky to get em off the lure.  But Nothing too serious.

Make sure to remove the rings on plugs. and clip direct.

I use norman speed clips over the spro clips for fw

Coastlocks are fine as long as it's not on the terminal end that can get in the fishes mouth

Snap swivel usually comes with an attached barrel swivel, prevents/reduces line twist.  While I use clips exclusively to quickly connect/change plugs, I have a barrel swivel between my braid and 3' fluro leader.

Posted (edited)

Ta clips are pretty much all i use anymore.....ran the gamut with the other brands.......sometimes they're a bit tricky to get em off the lure. But Nothing too serious.

Coastlocks are fine as long as it's not on the terminal end that can get in the fishes mouth

I am assuming because the coastlock could potentially be opened by the fish's mouth???? Edited by SBor02

Snap swivels can sometimes become undone... didnt believe it was possible until I saw it for myself. A buddy of mine hooked up to a huge bluefish, only to lose it later due to it biting the snap open. The setup that I always use now is main line>barrel swivel>leader>TA clip

Snap swivels can sometimes become undone... didnt believe it was possible until I saw it for myself. A buddy of mine hooked up to a huge bluefish, only to lose it later due to it biting the snap open. The setup that I always use now is main line>barrel swivel>leader>TA clip

What knot do you use on the clip?

I too prefer the clips esp in the cold. The only time I prefer snaps is with bucktails. Sometimes it gets a little tricky getting a tail on and off with the clips. I find myself removing all the paint off the eye of my tails.

I too prefer the clips esp in the cold. The only time I prefer snaps is with bucktails. Sometimes it gets a little tricky getting a tail on and off with the clips. I find myself removing all the paint off the eye of my tails.

Same here I use the ta clips and sometimes find it hard to clip on the Jecks bucktails I use.

Ta clips are pretty much all i use anymore.....ran the gamut with the other brands.......sometimes they're a bit tricky to get em off the lure. But Nothing too serious.

Coastlocks are fine as long as it's not on the terminal end

that can get in the fishes mouth

Why do you remove the rings on the plugs before attaching the clips? Always thought it gave the plug more/ better action

Posted (edited)

Since snaps can open, I've stopped using those and have converted to the TA clips. However, when I want the ultimate fool proof solid connection then I use an Owner black round solid ring and Owner Hyper Wire Split Ring to attach my lures. This isn't going to open up or have the knot move and I believe it provides the best action. All that's needed are a good pair of split ring pliers of the appropriate size.

I use the #7 solid ring in combination with a #9 split ring and it has worked with SP and up. Just ensure the lure used has not split ring of its own. A swivel could be substituted for the solid ring, if so desired but I don't.

At first it may seem convoluted or more complicated but it's not. In most circumstances it's rather simple and quick and ensures the best overall connection. Can be done with gloves and most times that's exactly how I do it.

post-44532-0-20801700-1448108263.jpeg

post-44532-0-56208100-1448108272.jpeg

post-44532-0-58195700-1448108284.jpeg

post-44532-0-30632900-1448108306.jpeg

Edited by Garriga

Why do you remove the rings on the plugs before attaching the clips? Always thought it gave the plug more/ better action

two big reasons.

First of all...it's a BEOTCH to get the clip off a ring versus direct

Secondly..plugs just don't seem to track/ run right.  That goes double for FW cranks and minnow baits....some cranks however cannot be used with a clip and no ring.  

Posted (edited)

So your clipping the ta clip to the hyper ring to the split to the lure right?

No. Either I use the TA clip alone or use the split ring to connect the lure to the solid ring. Could use the TA clip to the solid ring as well but I don't.

Here's an example. Just ignore the assist hooks, although, that might work. Guys are doing that for bluefin tuna except just the one assist. Removes the leverage of a big plug to toss the hook.

post-44532-0-15200500-1448141759_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Garriga