Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jdeadman66

Whiting?

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

I'm gonna have to travel to find them I suppose. It really is amazing how fast the populations and ranges of fish have changed since I was a kid.

Cycles, long term cycles.

If you ever go into the Belmar Fishing Club building (on the pier next to Shark River inlet) you'll see a wall of old framed photos.

Old fashioned fisherman with the handlebar moustaches and oilskin coats - all holding huge red drum !

Cycles, long term cycles.

If you ever go into the Belmar Fishing Club building (on the pier next to Shark River inlet) you'll see a wall of old framed photos.

Old fashioned fisherman with the handlebar moustaches and oilskin coats - all holding huge red drum !

Nope,not the mythical all powerful cycle this time. They're gone from NJ waters and they're not coming back - commercially and recreationally extinct at this point.

NH has seems to have a very nice whiting and ling fishery now. At least one charter boat targets the regularly. I might try to get out next season for them.

Nope,not the mythical all powerful cycle this time. They're gone from NJ waters and they're not coming back - commercially and recreationally extinct at this point.

NH has seems to have a very nice whiting and ling fishery now. At least one charter boat targets the regularly. I might try to get out next season for them.

They've moved north, along with cod

Southern species are showing here now.

Back in the whiting days none of us had a clue what a croaker or cownose ray was, no one targeted triggerfish on the wrecks, they were all southern species that are now common here.

Maybe we will be fishing for red drum in Belmar soon ??

I've never caught one.  From the sounds of it they were gone from the beaches long before I started fishing.  But a couple of the better fish markets in Astoria usually have them.  They're cheap and generally look very fresh.  I've always wondered where they were coming from.

Edited by derangler

They've moved north, along with cod

no. 

they were always north with cod. 

the southern end of their normal range was NJ

cod are coming back somewhat off the coast of NJ

whiting are not. 

they were wiped out from overfishing. 

they will likely be wiped out off the coast of MA and NH in the next decade as well. 

I stopped in my local Asian fish market today and they had some baseball bat sized whiting. I was tempted but couldn't remember what they tasted like or how to prepare them. My father used to catch them in the Winter in Pt. Pleasant when I was a kid. I dont think I've had any in 30 years or more.

when i was fishmonger 10 years+ ago we could get all we wanted. at the time they were coming from gloucester or pt jude.  a few times / year there was a pacific whiting available. they were really big and for the most part teh same fish but a little darker in color and the teeth were bigger/more jagged. 

they are delicious.scale first, a strong hose makes this task easy.  fillet from belly to spine and dont cut through skin. when you have separated backbone from meat you can then grab the head and pull toward tail and all bones and guts will come out in one shot. you know ahve a butterflied skin on fillet. for the big baseball bats they need to be cut in two or three to fry. if you are preparing them any other way than frying then you are doing it wrong. 

they freeze better than ling but they are still best if eaten prior to freezing. i used to be able to fillet a 40lb box of mediums in about 30 minutes. 

they were wiped out from overfishing. 

But we got rid of the Russian Factory ships in the early 80's, near 35 years ago.

You'd think we'd have a few by now

Supposedly they're thick in LI Sound

But we got rid of the Russian Factory ships in the early 80's, near 35 years ago.

You'd think we'd have a few by now

Supposedly they're thick in LI Sound

Thick in the sound? Where does this stuff come from?