Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gadwall8

Massive ice storm hits...

Rate this topic

66 posts in this topic

I say all deer and small game would be shot up inside of 2 weeks.

You and I aren't going to be the only ones hunting.

Think anyone will give you grief for keeping a cow in a SHTF situation?

Cats will live. I will let them catch things and steal the critters. Share enough to keep the cat going. I used to be the guy that had to make it in regardless of what was going on. I look forward to watching others have to do it.

Couple of months for us. Generator running an hour or two a day will keep the freezer viable till we ran shy of gas in a few weeks. Lots of flour, beans, etc in the house. Fair amount of canned goods. Artisian wells at two neighbors and a lake across the street. My only heat is a wood stove now anyway, so that doesn't change anything.

Has this ever happened? No, not since the whole woolly mammoth fiasco.

next, what's on Netflix?

And my fridge is always stocked with eclairs.

Meh, 

Irene hit in 2011 and we were off the grid for 9 days with a 1 month old. No problem.

Sandy hit in 2012 and we were of the grid for 15 days...and again, no problem. The 9" of snow on leaf laden trees the day after was worse than Sandy itself.

Both times I was prepared before they were even on most peoples' radar. Have a whole house NG genny,transfer switch, etc. A backup 6000w gas genny and a 4000 genny that runs off of the diesel tractor. We're on a well pump and septic. Had tons of gas, diesel, wood, food, ammo. Got ducks for eggs and freezers full of food, venison, squirrel, rabbit, fish, etc. Several acres of my own that I hunt. Also have a garden and small high tunnel.

Best of all, I've got a wife that was raised on a farm in the 80 during the soviet occupation. She'd shoot the horse without blinking an eye to feed her family...we can pretty much handle anything thrown at us almost indefinitely. Neighbors are pretty much the same...except for the two families recently transplanted from Staten Island

Edited by RaritanRedfish