Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ARay

Rod Lathe Advice

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Looking to buy my first rod lathe, learning from a local master rod builder who recommended renzetti. He's an old school guy and is unfamiliar with the new models. Ill be building surf fishing rods as well as offshore big game rods, maybe a freshwater/inshore rod every now and then. Renzetti has 2 models as of now, the basic model and the craftsman model, anyone have experience with either and could tell me if the craftsman is worth the extra $90 would be greatly appreciated.

Looking to buy my first rod lathe, learning from a local master rod builder who recommended renzetti. He's an old school guy and is unfamiliar with the new models. Ill be building surf fishing rods as well as offshore big game rods, maybe a freshwater/inshore rod every now and then. Renzetti has 2 models as of now, the basic model and the craftsman model, anyone have experience with either and could tell me if the craftsman is worth the extra $90 would be greatly appreciated.

Worst thing I did was upgrade to the craftsman model. It sags and vibrates all over the place. Mine is 15' for surf rods. Maybe it's O K at 9' but not that long. Why are you going top end? If your not going into business it's not really necessary...

Redhawk, I will be selling custom rods through a bait shop i work at once i become proficient enough. how many rod supports would you recommend for the 9' lathe? Is it neccesary to have such a long length bed if the longest rods i will be building are 11' and 2 pieces?

XP800, I am from the north shore of MA, town over from Gloucester

Renzetti is a great lathe..I have not used the craftsman version..so I'd rather not comment..where u from ?

Worst thing I did was upgrade to the craftsman model. It sags and vibrates all over the place. Mine is 15' for surf rods. Maybe it's O K at 9' but not that long. Why are you going top end? If your not going into business it's not really necessary...

Redhawk, I will be selling custom rods through a bait shop i work at once i become proficient enough. how many rod supports would you recommend for the 9' lathe? Is it neccesary to have such a long length bed if the longest rods i will be building are 11' and 2 pieces?

XP800, I am from the north shore of MA, town over from Gloucester

sorry for the double post im not the best with computers despite my generation..

i have the pac bay/amtak one. i do hundreds of repairs a year and build about 5-6 rods a year. for my needs the pac bay works fine but if i was doing more i'd want the renzetti. right now i only have mine set up for 9'. i just moved and havent had time to extend my bench yet to accommodate the extra section i have. when i wrap something longer i hold the rod with one hand and spool the thread with the other. its a pia but it works. 

You can never have enough rod supports. Short sections around 2 to 3 feet two is good. Up to 6 feet 3 is ok. Up to 11 feet 5 is good. No advanatage in having a tip sagging and not under control.

Mike

Thanks for the great info guys i did not know the pacific bay model even existed, great bit about the supports too Mike I was wondering about that, thank you.

Check out the Batson wrapper. Same bed as the Amtak but has a nicer looking thread carriage and available with the Alps Chuck. I wish this was available when I purchased my Amtak, it would have saved me some money!