Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
c10girl

Yo-Zuri Lures for Snook

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I reside in South Jersey so I am not too familiar with species of fish down south. I have a small task to build a list of Yo-Zuri lures ONLY that are used to fish for Snook.... I was wondering if those of you who target Snook happen to use any Yo-Zuri lures to do so. And if so, which ones?

Thank you!

my yo-zuri only list would be...

1 oz mag minniow floating

black

pink

white

bronze

2.5oz diving slider

pink

ballyhoo

holographic black

crystal minnow 

7/16oz  floating or 1/2 oz suspending

any color

Remember the pins I had being a silver color or sardine like pattern, been a while on that one. At the time I remember the hooks being pretty light for big fish, but it did work well for the smaller profile. Have used the 3d in white with the chartreuse and silver and blue. As far as Im concerned it is the swimming action that draws 90% of the hits anyway, so all colors would work, but its always nice to have a light shade and a dark shade if it doesn't resemble the prevalent bait in the area

I've seen the Yo-Zuri lures in action around the inlet that I fish and the one that gets the big Tarpon near the surface is the big Magnum 3D Crystal Minnow, green/silver. Nice lures. A bit pricey.

For the little male snooks that cruise the calm west coast beaches during the summer months, I like the 1/4 oz Crystal Minnow and Pins Minnows. My personal favorite colors are the Ghost, Silver, and Greenback ( might not be the official color names, but close enough)

Last few trips down, the snook (and everything else) were feeding on 1 inch white bait.

Obviously if you're fishing an east coast inlet durring the mullet run, these are not the plugs for that.

I haven't used it yet but the Yozuri Sashimi Slider looks a tempting lure that might work. Very pricy as are most of their lures.

Hi CT,
Seems like an odd request. That is, I believe that any lure will catch any fish. Most anglers will have some favorites, but no angler's lure choice is exclusive.
Don't forget that good bass fishing runs through December in South Jersey. I've caught stripers off the beach in Sandy Hook in December. Not to mention that a world record striper was caught in the Atlantic City surf one September night in 1982.
Back to the Snook plugs, are you organizing a killer kit?
Just curious.
John J Caprice

....but the Yo-Zuri lures do have some interesting features which are claimed to be superior to normal lures....which of course you pay for. The company put a lot attention in the way the lure reflects light, holographic UV finish which scatters light like a diamond in all directions, 3-prism, they call it, and the fish supposedly see this light outside the visible spectrum....and also the way it shifts weight when cast and rattles with those four balls inside. The company also claims to concentrate light in a precise direction around the hook areas for targeting strikes.

I have yet to use any of these lures because I have so many $6 Walmart Windcheaters. I've seen these lures in action, though,  and when Tarpon are around at night, they nail the 3-d minnows with a vengeance while other lures including the Windcheaters do absolutely nothing. Maybe someday I'll grab one and try it out. They look so perfectly beautiful and the ones I've seen hooked to fish usually stay in the fish's mouth while the fishermen walk away with nothing.

Thanks Z! Now I've done it! I visited their web site and I am easy prey. Hey! They are located in Port St Lucie. Hmmmm. I wonder if I can worm my in for a short tour?

I'll make a couple of phone calls and see if they have any speakers for meetings, or better yet, see if they support any local conservation efforts in Florida.

JJC

Thanks Z! Now I've done it! I visited their web site and I am easy prey. Hey! They are located in Port St Lucie. Hmmmm. I wonder if I can worm my in for a short tour?

I'll make a couple of phone calls and see if they have any speakers for meetings, or better yet, see if they support any local conservation efforts in Florida.

JJ

Oh, no, now you're hooked! There's another big time lure maker just north of Jupiter in Stuart, DOA Lures and I hear that the owner, Mark Nichols, is more than happy to let people tour his facility. He also goes fishing a lot and likes to hang with fishermen to discuss his products as well as their experiences....really cool guy. You could invite him to speak at one of your meetings. I'm sure he'd oblige. As a matter of fact, those DOA lures do catch a lot of fish. I've used their Bait Buster lures with great sucess on Tarpon at the inlet I fish. They nail those lures. I also caught a MONSTER Snook that was so big i could not fit it in my hoop net. So those lures do work well.

If you get some Yo-Zuri lures, let us know how they work out for you.