Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jjdbike

DMag needles vs BM minis?

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Hey folks

Getting to potentially be that time of year around here. We know that needles can produce any time but can really shine if big sand eels show up in the surf. Along w/ the standard plastic SS Super N'fish which seem to produce better when there is some sweep or bigger surf, custom woods def have their place. Among the many popular custom wood needles around these parts are the infamous DMags & the newer BM mini-needles. At first glance they seem to fill a similar niche. Approx 6-7" & weighted to 1 1/2 oz give or take.

What I'm hoping for is some input in how these compare in the water as far as fishing them, sinking, "action", catching & conditions under which they shine.

Compare & contrast?

Thanks!

JD

Unfortunately I have no real good experience with BM mini's. I've owned two and proceeded to lose both within a total of three casts. First cast break off and second cast snag. I'm cursed with those damn things. I would imagine they are great needles if I ever get the chance to actually use one for any amount of time.

I don't have the nerve to tie on the DMag given the above. I'll stick to SS needles.

Sorry this had no value to your question

Unfortunately I have no real good experience with BM mini's. I've owned two and proceeded to lose both within a total of three casts. First cast break off and second cast snag. I'm cursed with those damn things. I would imagine they are great needles if I ever get the chance to actually use one for any amount of time.

I don't have the nerve to tie on the DMag given the above. I'll stick to SS needles.

Sorry this had no value to your question

oh really, i got a couple to sell ya. 

I've caught fish on Dmags so i know they produce.  I've also fished the BM stubby needles before.  I didn't catch anything on them but to be perfectly fair, neither did anything else I threw that day.  I will continue to try them.  

By far my two most productive needlefish brands are Superstrike and Choopy.  As you stated, I reach for the Superstrikes in heavier water or current, just because the plastic is less buoyant.  In calmer waters I reach for Choopy's needlefish.  I can't decide if I like the 5/8 oz or 1 1/12 oz better, as I have caught fish on both.  The fish in the attached picture was caught on a recent trip to Cape Cod and fell for a 5/8 oz Choopy Needle.

post-46-0-74956700-1445975192_thumb.jpg

Hey John. Do you mean Choopy floating needles? JD

Yes, sort of.  They don't float.  They are slow sinkers.  On a fast retrieve they will come up to the surface, but I don't fish needles on a fast retrieve.

Thanks Again John. I had a couple Choopy needles I bought from on SOL on line store back when TimS was running it. They were big and i believe they were floaters. I'm assuming he makes (or at least made at one point) floaters and the slow sinkers you're referring to?

JD

There has always been some discussion on what is a floating needlefish. IMO, a foating needlefish never sinks. You cast it, it hits the water and it floats on the surface. There aren't many needlefish made like this. The Gibbs comes close and I have been told that one of the Afterhours models is a true floater. I have never fished it to personally know. Everything else is a sinking needlefish, its just a matter of how fast it sinks. The Choopy needles with the shaped heads are all slow sinkers. They will sink to the bottom if you give them enough time. But they will come to surface very quickly.

DMag and BM both make very nice lures and I am sure you will do very well with either of them, whichever you can get your hands on first. :D

Thanks for the replies & info. Especially thank you to Charlie for the info on floaters.

I was specifically hoping some one here had fished them both and could compare/contrast how they performed.

I have them both & will try both and report back in a couple weeks.

Thanks again

JD