Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Z

Is live lining ok with you ?

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

I was talking to a friend , a guy who is an accomplished **** with many big fish to his credit about live lining snappers He was adamantly opposed to this technique because he thought it is unconscionable to live line a game fish to catch one.I must admit I never though about it before , I hold the snapper and a bunker in same regards , herring too.

How do you guys feel about this ?

When did bluefish become a game-fish? redface.gifeek.gifconfused.gif

When fishing live bait, I tie directly to the hook in hopes of a cut-off, if by chance a blue takes the offering. Rather re-tie a hook than waste my time with them.

Small blues are great bait!!!! And OH WHAT A SHOW a striper gives on the larger ones. Scales everywhere biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif They beat the crap out of them 1st.

Would you live line a striper for a shark, or a small bass for a cow? I don't live line snappers, they are young gamefish not baitfish to me...there are plenty other schooling baits out there to go around.

I always knew that some looked down upon those that bait fish or live line but I never knew there was some live liners had a code and I live line a lot. No problem here with live lining anything as long as you meet the size minimum for that species in the state you are fishing.

Never mind snappers how many shark anglers live line full grown blues? What about live lining Mahi, Spanish mackerel, bonito, or skippies for marlin?

It's seems that in life no matter what you do there will ALWAYS be someone who is opposed to it. If you feel comfortable with what you do, screw the nay sayers. wink.gif

Nothing at all wrong with live lining. so long as the specie you are live lining is of legal size, etc. I see no issue. The only problem with snapper is you only have 10 baits per person per day now.. LOL

BC

Bait is bait. Whatever it takes if you are going to fish with meat on the hook.

BTW BC, If you had 10 snappers in your possession and three got eaten by fish when used as bait, that leaves you seven. Does that mean you now only have seven bluefish and can catch three more to replenish the bait supply??? confused.gifredface.gif

Spigola tongue.gifcwm12.gif

If 10 are not enough.... take the kids along tongue.gif

I have 3 sons and my wife along quite often....

Let's see.... me, the wife and the 3 boys.... thats ...uh.... 50!

More than enough.