Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mike Lang

Berkley Fireline XDS

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

I have been a user of Fireline now for over 7 years exclusively, had all 12 Van Staal reels loaded with it and absolutely love and stand behind the line 100%.

I recently was given a bulk spool of 35 Lb. Fireline XDS and loaded it onto my VS 300.

I love it even more than the regular Fireline, slightly more limp and looks to have a different characteristic that would not frey (though it never hindered the integrity of regular Fireline).

I have it in smoke green.

So far I have about a dozen outings with it, and bass to over 30# and am almost ready to get a few more spools.

What is the general concensus?

Experience with it? Like it? Why? Pro's/Con's?

Mike L.

The original Fireline always freaked me out with the way it frayed. I throw a lot of jigs into fast current and I cant imagine the sink rate was as good as Power Pro with all them fuzzys hanging off the line. I need to re-spool now and I'd like to try the new stuff, anybody know where I can have it put on in Monmouth Co? Any chance Capt Bill's has it?

The original Fireline always freaked me out with the way it frayed. I throw a lot of jigs into fast current and I cant imagine the sink rate was as good as Power Pro with all them fuzzys hanging off the line.

my only problem with fireline is it's growing diameter and jig sink-rate getting slower as the line grows in size (frizzes out)...... powerpro doesn't do that, stays round, sink rate stays the same or gets better as it softens... my .02

Mike-

For what it's worth, here's my two cents. I had been using 30lb Fireline the last 3 seasons (Montauk 100% of the time, w/ 704z), but switched to the 50 lb XDS Fireline and the 706z this year. Love them both, but now I'm thinking about going back to the original 30lb Fireline. I don't think I'm getting the casting distance I was with the original. The difference in diameters (once worn-in) is significant, and although I haven't tested it, I haven't noticed a difference in the actual breaking point of each. The XDS doesn't show any signs of fraying though, which is nice.

I guess what it comes down to is my casting distance has suffered, and there doesn't seem to be any big advantage to the 50lb XDS. Maybe the 35lb XDS is a happy medium. No fraying, with similiar diameters. Something to think about.

George

I have used 35# xds on my VS 200 all summer. No complaints. Like that it doesn't fray. Can't say if it is any better than the old stuff though which I used on a 704 prior to this year.

The XDS has a thicker diameter than the regular Fireline, thats why it didnt cast as well. I have the 50lb XDS. The package states a diameter of 14 lb, but if you aske me it feels more like 20lb. The stuff is THICK. To contrast, 50lb PP is 12lb diameter equivalent.

I use PP on my VS reels with no problem however I just bought a penn 650 on ebay as a backup reel and would like to use PP but I remember my buddy tried PP on his penn and it did not work out. Knots etc. Does fireline work any better on the Penn reels?

Fireline XDS is $$$$...I switched to Tuf-line XP after I got a couple bad batches of PP...Tuf-line takes the cake..Ive used em alll...plus it'll save you some dough. icon14.gif Thats more dough for pluuuuuugs biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

I love the XDS. I have it on my 10' setup. The original Fireline has been worked on too. I use the regular Fireline on my smaller/lighter salt setups, and the new stuff is MUCH better. But anyhow the XDS is great icon14.gif

I use 20 lb Fireline on my Penn Captiva spinning reel, attached to a 7 ft OuterBanks rod.

I've tried mono, spiderwire and others and I prefer the fireline. I haven't had the fraying or

increase in diameter though.

M L luv 30 lb. fl. talk about frayed . i wore out a spool in 3 weeks .tough fishin. lost 6 bucktails. couple fish.curius if the 35 xds is stronger then 30 fl.i wanna use 35 for lures.has to cast better?gotta experiment. i need more spools.good topic....