Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TimS

Christmas Family - 2015

Rate this topic

69 posts in this topic

Thank you to Leatherface for writing this up - he knows their story well.

This years’ Christmas family will be the Kacinski’s. Their daughter, 11 year old Meghan, has Dock8 Syndrome, which consists of severe "head-to-toe" eczema, hundreds of food and environmental allergies, and the need to always travel by car and have a specialty diet. Without a bone marrow transplant, this disease is terminal. Her parents, Bill and Connie have been battling emotionally and financially since Meghan was born. Along with their two other children, Brooke (16) and Liam (13), it has been a real bumpy road.

I have known Bill (capnbill) from SOL for a while now and his family were the recipients of our 2015 Long Island Spring Fling Fundraiser. We were able to help out some, but it’s going to take a lot more to even put a dent in the mounting debt. On top of all this, Bill and Connie just found out that their son, Liam, has also been diagnosed with the same disease. So the need for help has become even more important. Without going into too much detail, you could imagine the mounting debt from travel, medical bills, home renovations, etc. I couldn’t think of a more deserving family for this year’s Christmas Fundraiser.

I'm not sure exactly how the fundraiser thread part of this works - I did just add a forum for Christmas Family fundraising...it's going to be handled like an auction as I understand it - there's nothing in there yet, but the forum is ready - only Mrs Biggene, TLDig and Sudsy can start threads in there - anyone can respond :th: Here's a link - http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/forum/87-christmas-family-auction-forum/

TimS

Thank you to Leatherface for writing this up - he knows their story well.

I'm not sure exactly how the fundraiser thread part of this works - I did just add a forum for Christmas Family fundraising...it's going to be handled like an auction as I understand it - there's nothing in there yet, but the forum is ready - only Mrs Biggene, TLDig and Sudsy can start threads in there - anyone can respond :th: Here's a link - http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/forum/87-christmas-family-auction-forum/

TimS

Will we be able to sell our personal stuff in the auction with all the money going directly to the Christmas Family?

You should have let Tammy write it.

She has a flair.

She needed someone else to do it this year.

I can add my personal flair - here's a fellow SOL member who's daughter has been suffering a brutal, potentially terminal genetic disease since birth.  A fellow fisherman who's little girl is suffering every day.  While struggling through the medical nightmares and bills to try and keep his little girl alive, they recently found out their son has the same brutal, terminal genetic disease :(

Who wrote up the story is kind of unimportant - I asked him to write it up because he had the details already - please don't get hung up on that, this is about bringing Christmas to a family that can really use something to smile about :)

TimS

My input? This family bring me back to the very first Christmas family we ever did. I sat there after hearing the story and being asked by someone.... can we help them?

I was feeling overwhelmed by the question. That year it was a family that Mon and daughter both had cancer. Mom had lost a breast to cancer that year and daughter had lost a leg. Help? How does one even begin? How can one even make a dent in that? Ever????

It was late September or early October though and I remember looking at the email at work about the upcoming Christmas party. It dawned on me then. There's no way we could ever Hope to change their lives.... but maybe, just maybe we could make ONE day special for them. And Christmas family was born.

That's How I see this opportunity. We can't possibly change their lives, but damn it, we can give them one day. One day of relief. And what a better day to show that kind of love than Christmas.

Mom from that year has since passed on but packed away is the letter I received that January. She did not know who we were. She had no idea why we did it. But She was grateful. So very grateful. And not even for the stuff that was under the tree. And there was TONS of it. She was grateful that through the horrors they had faced that year that in one simple act, we restored am entire family's faith in humanity and in God. And She said She had no idea that could happen. All Hope had been lost until that day.

I could die today and do it with the content that in my lifetime, right there and then....that I had been a part of something truly special. And That's why year after year I have been right here every fall asking for your help to create another Christmas miracle. Because How often do you get a chance to do that?

That is all.

Edited by TLDig

My input? This family bring me back to the very first Christmas family we ever did. I sat there after hearing the story and being asked by someone.... can we help them?

I was feeling overwhelmed by the question. That year it was a family that Mon and daughter both had cancer. Mom had lost a breast to cancer that year and daughter had lost a leg. Help? How does one even begin? How can one even make a dent in that? Ever????

It was late September or early October though and I remember looking at the email at work about the upcoming Christmas party. It dawned on me then. There's no way we could ever Hope to change their lives.... but maybe, just maybe we could make ONE day special for them. And Christmas family was born.

That's How I see this opportunity. We can't possibly change their lives, but damn it, we can give them one day. One day of relief. And what a better day to show that kind of love than Christmas.

Mom from that year has since passed on but packed away is the letter I received that January. She did not know who we were. She had no idea why we did it. But She was grateful. So very grateful. And not even for the stuff that was under the tree. And there was TONS of it. She was grateful that through the horrors they had faced that year that in one simple act, we restored am entire family's faith in humanity and in God. And She said She had no idea that could happen. All Hope had been lost until that day.

I could die today and do it with the content that in my lifetime, right there and then....that I had been a part of something truly special. And That's why year after year I have been right here every fall asking for your help to create another Christmas miracle. Because How often do you get a chance to do that?

That is all.

Words don't often fail me....

Then I read something like this....

Not that I know anything about this, but, have you given any thought to a "go fund me" thingy? :)

They have paypal setup for donations and to collect money from the auctions.

Not that I know anything about this, but, have you given any thought to a "go fund me" thingy? :)

Go fund me takes a substantial percentage of monies raised for themselves...every penny collected through our fundraisers goes to the people that are in need. Go fund me is a business that takes a substantial chunk of people's generosity and puts it in their pockets...that's the opposite of the Christmas Family spirit :)

Thanks for chiming in Tammy :th::clap:

TimS

TimS

Will we be able to sell our personal stuff in the auction with all the money going directly to the Christmas Family?

You will be able to send myself, Mrs biggene or sudsy a photo and description of the item. We'll post it up. Once an item is sold, the money for it would be sent to either PayPal or to Mrs biggene if by check or money order, and we'll send you a pm letting you know where to send it. :) Thank you for asking!

Edited by TLDig

You will be able to send myself, Mrs biggene or sudsy a photo and description of the item. We'll post it up. Once an item is sold, the money for it would be sent to either PayPal or to Mrs biggene if by check or money order, and we'll send you a pm letting you know where to send it. :) Thank you for asking!

That sounds great Tammy, I have two things to auction off and I'm sure to find more. When does this start?

This thread should be locked at the top.