Stripping basket

Rate this topic

The Zen Master

I am very interested to hear how many fly rods and which brand and model the guys who are against the $80 bucket have. 

I see where you're going with this. If I may speak for the DIY basket group, the question is skewed because our objection is not about spending money on gear -- it's about spending money on gear that we believe is a) overpriced, and b) buildable on a grassroots level for pennies on the dollar.

Sure, you can build your own rod and save that way, too. But rod building done right is far more complex and time-consuming (and thus more costly) than building a shooting basket.

If it makes anyone feel better, I don't own any rods that could be considered premium, pricey or top of the line. It is, after all, the indian --not the arrow. :-)

Steve Culton

"We fish for pleasure; I for Mine, you for yours."
-- James Leisenring

I am very interested to hear how many fly rods and which brand and model the guys who are against the $80 bucket have. 

I own Sage fly rods and Bauer fly reels; certainly over-priced but neither is mass produced in China from injection molded plastic, nor could I manufacture suitable substitutes for less from Wal-Mart components.

The only non-snob fly rod I own is a 9ft 9wt Redbone that I purchased when I was first learning how to fly fish -- actually a real nice rod! It has a Bauer M5 on it.

The point isn't whether I will pay a premium for good stuff -- I will. But I will NOT pay a premium for an injection molded plastic dishpan just because it has a brand name on it.

Edited by Quick Karl

Those who know, do not talk; those who talk, do not know. - Tao Te Ching 56

Defeat exists only in the minds of defeated men, and I will never be one of them.

everyone has their opinion and it's your money so spend it how you want, but $500 and up on a fishing rod, and you're digging your feet in for $85, (and realistically it's only $60 b/c they have those $25 coupons off all the time), when realistically a $50 fly rod will help you catch a fish just the same? just seems crazy to me.

I can't really talk though I have like 20 rods haha.

I wish I could go back to when I had one 5wt and one 9wt, crappy old waders, NO stripping basket, maybe 50 flies, a beat up old reel, and still out-fished everyone once in a while.

i had an idear the other day. Eveyone doesn't like the travel kind.  The ones that fold up?  But If you made an insert to fit inside it may be ok.  Make a plastic bottom with some small cones and place it on the bottom when you get there.   And it will fit in your suitcase easy?  What do you think.  I am going to make one before I go to Florida this year.

everyone has their opinion and it's your money so spend it how you want, but $500 and up on a fishing rod, and you're digging your feet in for $85, (and realistically it's only $60 b/c they have those $25 coupons off all the time), when realistically a $50 fly rod will help you catch a fish just the same? just seems crazy to me.

I can't really talk though I have like 20 rods haha.

I wish I could go back to when I had one 5wt and one 9wt, crappy old waders, NO stripping basket, maybe 50 flies, a beat up old reel, and still out-fished everyone once in a while.

What! People pay $500.00 and up for rods. Holly crap. With me its partly because I'm frugal but also because I am an insufferable tinkerer and simply enjoy making and building things myself. It's why I make my own leaders, tie my own flys, teasers and bucktails, cabinets, wading staffs, tip downs, tools, and a host of other doodads.

This thread comes up at least a few times a year. Usually when the wx is bad.

Almost as interesting as the what's the best rod size, for the salt (6, 7, 8, 9, 10) thread.

FFI MCI, USCG Charter Capt.

Sorry, I don't use Facebook, emojis, or type LOL in my emails... I'm not a 17yo girl, or a bored middle aged woman.

ccb I always pack my stripping basket in my suitcase, it really takes up little to no room and it actually can be used to your advantage. I always place it in the bottom of the suitcase and place any objects I want to protect in it  ( reels, cameras etc. )and pack socks and underwear around them. I never leave home without it.

I actually lost  my stripping basket last year through mu own stupidity and did not hesitate to drop $85 to replace it. I find it to be that essential when fishing the salt. In the big scheme of things when I look at what I spend on all the equipment I have, a striping basket purchase pails in comparison.

I think it is great to make your own, I did the same many years so kudos to those that still do it today, it is part of the sport just like making your own rod or flies.

As far as asking questions that have been asked before and will continued to get asked again I also think that is a good thing, many are asked by people new to the forum or yes even those that are bored a little. The important thing is they help keep the forum going and it gives people the chance to respond with helpful information if they choose too or not.

The Tug Is The Drug

P1060161avrs.JPG.4cfec72f29b8d59afe85d0e7a9d85266.JPG

Another take that I am working on.  Ever heard of a "Cuban Yo-Yo?"  Some of the Cubans get impressive distances casting these reels.  Basically they are hand line reels used just to store line.  Some models like the one In my photo has a casting rim on one side.  There is also a finger hold rim inside the reel.

I store my fly lines on Yo-Yos.  The ones I have are 6" in diameter and 3 fit in a spackling bucket.  The bucket eliminates mouse damage.  I have seen  Yo-Yos from 6 to 10" in diameter.  They are very light.

I've been trying to learn to strip my line onto a Yo-Yo when casting/fishing.  The 6" works well on my running line but 6" dia loops of the 10wt head  tend to bunch up when casting.  I am trying to find 8 and 10" Yo_Yos but they aren't available locally.

We all know that loops on a 6" reel are approximately 18".  (pi X D)  I think this is a little small to get through the stripping guide.  A 10" Yo-Yo would take up 30" per loop.  That ought to flow through the guides easier.  When a fish hits,I let it run until it gets on the reel then drop the Yo-Yo.  You can clear the YO-Yo in about 2 seconds by turning it rim down where the line slips right off.

I don't have a rod that I want to mess with but I would like to put a fairly large spinning rod butt guide on a rod and see how much better it would work.

At any rate, this is sort of a fun project and may yield a significant improvement to fly casting.

BTW, I bought 6 Yo-Yos on e-Bay for about $10.

post-32278-0-34176900-1443709756_thumb.jpg

Edited by captkenroy
Life is too short to catch little fish.

I build my own rods, lines, flies, pretty much anything I can, but the only stripping basket I've ever made was a stolen shopping cart with a bungee cord to secure it in place. It worked for the 3 days I had to wait for orvis to send me a replacement. It was uncomfortable and heavy, but it taught me the importance of redundancies. Ken, I honestly hope that works out for you, it looks and sounds like a horrible idea.

"Talent does what it can, genius does what it has to"

for me a stripping basket is one of those things that remind me time is money. I could  make one after a week of finding the basket cones electrical conduit clamps belt etc. but honestly I am glad to have picked up the orvis one for 65$. Fishing is supposed to be enjoyable but its downright awful if you spend 3/4 of the outing untangling line or finally hook into a decent fish and get a knot stuck in your first snake guide.