Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scrubby

Couple of questions about bucktails

Rate this topic

84 posts in this topic

I would pretty much always use a clip with a BT or any jig for that matter.  Makes changing easier.  If you're fishing a few hours with the same jig you're doing it wrong.  A jig that sinks and hits the bottom like a rock is too heavy and you'll get no bites. Bass  pretty much never hit a jig when its touching the bottom.  Usually don't want to impart action on the jig, let it do its thang. Most times a jigging action will frighten a fish that is just sitting on the bottom feeding on stuff here and there.  Your pole is used like a surgeon cuts with a scalpel- the surgeon guides the handle and lets the scalpel do the work.  Your reel is to take up slack, but not too much slack.  A banjo string tight line gets you no bites.  Nothing else can compare to jigging.  It is a specialized way to catch something.  Most guys will  throw hot dogs to catch stripe bass if they had to...but not me.

What do these Mister Twister, Otter tails, and PorkRinds look like?  I think I've seen them before but I'm not certain.  I know they're all grubs or teaser add-ons to a bucktail.  I usually sweetened then with squid or shrimp, or other cut baits, but I'm only familiar with VA-NC styles so you guys school me please! 

jb....you need to punch these in Google.............

Any suggestions on how to connect the bucktail to the leader?  Do you tie direct, use some kind of loop knot, or just attached to your snap?

Edited by waderman1

I prefer to attach bucktail to a snap...I usually use Tactical Anglers clip attached to the end of a 48inch mono leader of 80 lb test around rocks and 40 lb for open beach. For me its easier to change Bucktails and leader length stays the same.

Any suggestions on how to connect the bucktail to the leader?  Do you tie direct, use some kind of loop knot, or just attached to your snap?

yes

Listen to anything Fly By Nite says - he may be limited in many many ways, but he's a damned good bucktailer

Tie direct all day every day. I know some of you guys say it doesn't make a difference if you tie direct or use a clip. I have noticed a big difference especially with smaller bucktails I throw. The clip to me just looks ridiculous on a 1/2 bucktail, and the fish seem to think so too.

I can tie a non-slip loop knot pretty fast these days. A longer leader with a alberto knot will last you all day even with the cutting required to tie a new lure on.

Tie direct all day every day. I know some of you guys say it doesn't make a difference if you tie direct or use a clip. I have noticed a big difference especially with smaller bucktails I throw. The clip to me just looks ridiculous on a 1/2 bucktail, and the fish seem to think so too.

I can tie a non-slip loop knot pretty fast these days. A longer leader with a alberto knot will last you all day even with the cutting required to tie a new lure on.

faithless......do you think the fish have a preference of treble or single hooks dangling from swimming plugs?

Giglio's carrys it.  You can go to the Spring show at Brookdale College in Monmouth County, and meet John Skinner in person.  

Edited by RJ