Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scrubby

Couple of questions about bucktails

Rate this topic

84 posts in this topic

Not discrediting anybody but no way one or two sizes in BT will cover all bases and conditions.

Have multiple sizes.

Yup, and multiple sized trailers

The bigger the trailer (or shape like a paddletail) the more pull and the higher it will ride

Don't forget the smelly Jelly

As far as bucktail weight, if you're just starting out throwing them then buy a variety of weights....stick with them and you'll find that you use more of one or two weights and you'll be replenishing those faster.  Everyone fishes differently, in differnet spots in diff conditions and it would be impossible to say get X of 1 oz, Y of 1.5 oz, etc.  Buy a bunch of different ones to start with.  You may find yourself wishing you had a 3 oz BT to throw one night when 99% of the others 1.5 oz is the sweet size.

Experiment wit trailers...i don't travel much, but i can say that all in all you can't go wrong with a white curly tail grub in NJ.  A white shad body can do the trick. I helped NIB with a big bass some years ago, ate a crumby white BT with a rubber eel trailer he found in the truck.  If you can find pork Os they work.  Use your imagination and don't forget when something works.

Edited by Fly By Nite

Most of the time when fishing light bucktails I fish a 8'6"century slingshot rated 1/2 to 11/2 I believe. That throws is as far as I need it to and can handle most resident fish in New Jersey.

JS and others speak of getting sweep with the BT. I know that this depends on how hard the current is ripping or if you found a nice outflow. How fast do you want your BT sweeping? Last night I had a 1 oz that was flying past me but any larger BTs would dig into the sand.

Finding the proper balance of weight and pull (trailer) to match the conditions and keep that bucktail sweeping at the right depth and speed is the hardest part of bucktailing

Actually working the bucktail is the easy part

You didn't quite find the balance.

Edited by Sudsy

I like the medium size TA's

If it's a really rough area I tie direct because I'm a cheap bastage and the damn clips cost me damn near as much as the bucktails (make my own bucktails)

Edited by Sudsy

I always tie direct, don't like a lot of hardware....swivels and clips and all....but I thought I'd try a clip maybe. My son always tells me he can feel the slack between the clip and the eyelet at times.......I dunno.

Skinner's book is a must. Tinman sells the best bucktails. Out front start with 1oz. In the back start with 1/2. I like uncle josh but otter tails look good too. I like it to be 1-2 seconds off the bottom. You're gonna need a variety for montauk and you're gonna loose a bunch in the rocks. Look for a guy with blue wheels on his camper in the parking lot, his name is bill and he sells bucktails for cheap. Did we mention skinners book?

I'm trying to put together an order for a few of Dan Tinman's bucktails. Out front, Cape May. Which shape do you guys recommend? I was leaning toward bullet heads, is that right? 

I'm gonna start with a few white ones in different sizes and play around. Then I'll buy the Skinner book when I need something to do this cold winter, and then I'll figure out why I did not catch anything on my new BT's in the fall. Haha.

As far as trailers, I'm going to grab some pork rind and the other recommended trailer types. Good info. in here to get started.

I'm trying to put together an order for a few of Dan Tinman's bucktails. Out front, Cape May. Which shape do you guys recommend? I was leaning toward bullet heads, is that right?

I'm gonna start with a few white ones in different sizes and play around. Then I'll buy the Skinner book when I need something to do this cold winter, and then I'll figure out why I did not catch anything on my new BT's in the fall. Haha.

As far as trailers, I'm going to grab some pork rind and the other recommended trailer types. Good info. in here to get started.

I like the smilin bill style.

Definitely check out the otter tails for a trailer too. I haven't caught with them but the action and durability is awesome.

1/2, 1, and 1.5 would cover most surf applications unless you fish inlets and rips. Te skinner book is on kindle too. Download the kindle app and buy the book and read it while you poop.

My favorite trailers (and teasers but that's a different thread) are sluggos and Finesse fish

Edited by Sudsy

My favorite trailers (and teasers but that's a different thread) are sluggos and Finesse fish

I like the smilin bill style.

Definitely check out the otter tails for a trailer too. I haven't caught with them but the action and durability is awesome.

1/2, 1, and 1.5 would cover most surf applications unless you fish inlets and rips. Te skinner book is on kindle too. Download the kindle app and buy the book and read it while you poop.

Thanks, guys.

What do these Mister Twister, Otter tails, and PorkRinds look like?  I think I've seen them before but I'm not certain.  I know they're all grubs or teaser add-ons to a bucktail.  I usually sweetened then with squid or shrimp, or other cut baits, but I'm only familiar with VA-NC styles so you guys school me please!