Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scrubby

Couple of questions about bucktails

Rate this topic

84 posts in this topic

Oh, and one other question. Alot of hair, medium hair, or very little hair? I know I like little hair or a rubber skirt when bucktailing for fluke but I hear to use a bucktail with alot of hair for stripers..

Large amount of hair will let you use a heavier jig and stay off the bottom vs. the same weight with less hair. Same with trailers, a good size grub will let it swim higher than pork so you can fish slower if you need to. These two aspects will also give your jigs different profiles. Skinners "Fishing the Bucktail" is a great instructional to read and there is no substitute for time on the water.

I think I need to take some advice form earlier in the thread and make a few trips with nothing but bucktails.

Edited by part cork

Oh, and one other question. Alot of hair, medium hair, or very little hair? I know I like little hair or a rubber skirt when bucktailing for fluke but I hear to use a bucktail with alot of hair for stripers..

To answer indirectly, I'll give you an example of what I do. I tend to fish 3/4 oz bucktails quite a bit during this time of year. I have several different 3/4's in my pouch. I have a 3/4 andrus jetty caster that has a lot of hair. I use that when I'm trying to slow down the sink rate of the bucktail (hair = buoyancy). Like when I'm bucktailing the many replenished places around me that now look like the Sahara Desert and are now more shallow than they used to be. Then I've got a 3/4 bucktail with sparse hair. I use that when I need that sucker to get down deep much faster, like after I've taken a looong walk to some deeper moving water. And I've got 3/4s that are in between. See the point? They all have a purpose, hair is a tool for you to use, just like the weight of the jig and the type of trailer you're using.

Not to discredit any of you guys that obviously have had good success using some light weight bucktails...... I'm curious though, what's your choice of weight with a stiff wind in your face and a snotty surf? There are days when that surf is kicking and there's white water all around.......

Not to discredit any of you guys that obviously have had good success using some light weight bucktails...... I'm curious though, what's your choice of weight with a stiff wind in your face and a snotty surf? There are days when that surf is kicking and there's white water all around.......

Some times you have to throw a 3...

Buy Skinner's book it is very helpful and his insight is what you are looking for. Think about your line depending on the conitions ie Sandy beach inlet with rocks etc.

The whole thing is to have it swim in the stripers view. Experiment with the weight, pork rind trailer from uncle j helps again they have various sizes. If your going to try it just bring the bucktail leave the other lures plugs in your car you'll be forced to stick with them versus the temptation to quit. As with anything practice practice and take notes on what worked when and more importantly what didn't Tight Lines

What size BTs would you stock up on for Montauk? Would you need 2oz if weather was normal? Thanks!

Out there think rocks when lure hits the water start reeling everything depends on conditions. Someone asked about stiff wind no you wouldn't throw light just like in an inlet when it's dumping out with a max current you wouldn't throw light you may have to use a 4-6 depending on what the water is doing. Conditions will dictate but experience will speed up.process.

Edited by Blackheart16

Quick question: I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I'm curious how you guys feel about Blue Frog bucktails. specifically wondering amount of krystalflash used.ever see the need to trim it back a bit?

blue frogs are awesome.............the krystal flash acts as scales, which acts great.............I never felt the need to trim anything.............

What size BTs would you stock up on for Montauk? Would you need 2oz if weather was normal? Thanks!

I strictly fish 3/4 oz heavily dressed bt in MTK unless I'm fishing under the lighthouse where the current is much stronger. 1- 1 1/2 fishing the rip. Pairing the bt with a plastic worm instead of rind allows you to ride a bit higher (just above the rocks) through the water column.

I strictly fish 3/4 oz heavily dressed bt in MTK unless I'm fishing under the lighthouse where the current is much stronger. 1- 1 1/2 fishing the rip. Pairing the bt with a plastic worm instead of rind allows you to ride a bit higher (just above the rocks) through the water column.

This is very helpful KF thanks! I'm heading up in a few weeks for the first time fishing there with my feet on the ground. I'm hoping there are some fish!

Skinner's book is a must. Tinman sells the best bucktails. Out front start with 1oz. In the back start with 1/2. I like uncle josh but otter tails look good too. I like it to be 1-2 seconds off the bottom. You're gonna need a variety for montauk and you're gonna loose a bunch in the rocks. Look for a guy with blue wheels on his camper in the parking lot, his name is bill and he sells bucktails for cheap. Did we mention skinners book?

I've mentioned these before, but give Otter Tails a try. Doesn't dry out like pork rind and bluefish don't destroy it.

do you happen to know where they stock these? i checked the tackledirect website and they didnt have it.