Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Simply Addicted

Avet for surf?

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

I just bought an avet sx mc meant for party boat fishing on a jigging stick.

I'm also in the market to upgrade surf gear.

Anyone use this avet in the surf? How does it hold up? I typically use only spinning in surf or jettys but why not use this?

What are your preferences?

i wanted to learn conventionals a few years ago so i bought an avet mxl and fished it exclusively for one year. mxl was too big for the surf. shoulda got an sx like yours. second mistake,  i started with braid...jeez what a mess until i figured it out. i blew out the pinion bearing which is a common problem with avets according to what i read. took me forever to get one to costa rica where i live. my fault not avets... anyway my opinion is yes fish the hell out of it and strip it down and service after every trip it gets dunked. easy to do.  good luck

i wanted to learn conventionals a few years ago so i bought an avet mxl and fished it exclusively for one year. mxl was too big for the surf. shoulda got an sx like yours. second mistake, i started with braid...jeez what a mess until i figured it out. i blew out the pinion bearing which is a common problem with avets according to what i read. took me forever to get one to costa rica where i live. my fault not avets... anyway my opinion is yes fish the hell out of it and strip it down and service after every trip it gets dunked. easy to do. good luck

Thanks Mark, what causes the pinion bearing to blow so easily?

there are better people then me to explain but apparently there is a side load of sorts in this application and this bearing is not ideal for that. the correct bearing would be an " angular contact bearing"  as per my reading. alan tani looked into installing one in an avet but they are bigger and there was not enough room to drill out the reel.

as long as you stay within recommended drag settings you should be fine. as you have been fishing the reel without issues then i guess you have been doing that. i blew mine out on a big tuna. i guess i need to be more careful.

they are really cool little reels. made in america which i appreciate. super easy to work on. 

i included a link to a discussion on this issue by much more knowledgable people then me. mods will hopefully allow the link as it is to alan's site and he is a member here.  if not google alan tani reel repair, scroll down the page to avet tutorials. click on it and one of the stickied threads is titled avet pinion bearings. good luck

http://******.com/index.php?topic=1198.0

Alot of guys use them in Texas from piers. From the beach as with many conventionals, sand will be an issue. MC version is really easy to cast and the reel is fairly simple to breakdown and maintain yourself.

I use an MX that is static magged on a Breakaway HDX-T for soaking bait. I haven't had a problem with sand intrusion unless it was knocked over. I have been almost spooled twice, both times I was cut off.

The first time I know it was a shark. It kept taking a bite out of every fish that got on my line. The second one I have no idea what it was. It was pulling 10 pounds of drag like nothing and was moving like a train. What ever it was it hit half a shrimp that was meant for a pompano.

Edited by Red_man

I use an SX for surf fishing and bottom fishing. I spool with 50lb braid and never had any problems. 

Bought mine just before they came out with the MC so I had to mag it myself. Free spool is ridiculous in those reels.

I would not use an AVET as a substitute for a spinning setup. If you're looking to cast plugs and tins with conventional, you're probably going to want a star drag with a levelwind. A thumb engaged freespool is also a nice thing when casting repeatedly.

MXL/MC for chunking

SXJ/MC for bottom fishing/kayak

post-44387-0-40991100-1444313274_thumb.jpg

Edited by MitchellNJ

bt758,

how do you set the drag so that it is not too high and therefore blow out the pinion gear ? i searched for the official avet way and all i found was videos of guys setting it with a scale.  don't have a scale. i really like this reel, it just has this one issue that i need to overcome...thks, mark