Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Landham

I Fish Therefore I Am.....(a Caveman?)

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

This question stems from a conversation I had with a coworker this morning. I was trying (in vain) to explain why I have this deep rooted need to stand alone in the dark, battling weather and fatige, in an attempt to catch fish. Halfway through my explanation of how it "feeds my soul" I realized that I was wasting my time, but it got me thinking about something else.

Is the "need" to fish something we're born with or is it just a learned behavior? Is it that some people simply have obsessive tendencies. If my Dad had introduced me to golf instead of fishing, would I have become just as obsessive about golf, or is it more of a primitive "need to hunt" thing that drives us? Is the fact that fishing for the most part is dominated my men, a hunting vs. gathering question, or is it that Dads only passed their "hobby" down to their sons and not their daughters?

When I see the pure joy in my daughters face while she's fishing (or talking about it later) I don't want to believe that it won't become part of her soul like it has for me.

I know this was a bit of a rambling question, but I'm curious what you all think.

Thanks,

LH

It is all about forgetting your troubles and about being at peace with Nature, and yourself...

OK...that will be 50 bucks for the mind bending wise remark...cash only please...

Dude, my darling daughter is just as nuts as I am. Although, at 19 and in college she resists because she wants to be a girl, and "normal".

She doesn't know that I know. But I do because it's my fault. I dragged her thru the sand, and the woods. I put a rod in her hands,..and walked away when she said, at age three, with as much attitude as a little girl can muster,"I can do it myself Daddy!!" And she did.

God, I love and miss her so...

------------------

SOL#1886

Recovering Idiot

9-11-01 Never Forget Never Relent

my dad hates fishing. he says it bores the hell out of him. i have two older brothers who never fished. i have no aunts or uncles, and no cousins. i learned to fish by myself, and later found friends who liked fishing.

my family was always into the outdoors; camping, hiking, that kinda stuff, but i'm the only one to this day that fishes.

Reasons to fish:

adventure: the wind the sand the surf the

anticipation often preceed by periods of boring responsibilities

Gut feeling: more of the obsession feeling;

I have to go, can hit you at any time.

socialtongue.giflanned events which reinforce feeling of freindships with your buds(hopefully)

Deskunk: when you go just to kill the skunk,

can be dissapointing and often can be anxiety

ridden but we all go through it

Playing with new toys: You've been thinking about new toys ie lures, line ,leaders,reels,

rods,ect.ect and after you buy you can hardly wait to go.

Habitual: the lowest form, sometimes you go even when you don't feel like it

------------------

fishing.jpg

Chuck,

It gets in your blood, man. Some more than others, even with the same exposure. You know both of my brothers. I have the "disease" a little "worse" than either of them wink.gif I think my son has it even more so...

Hmmmm? Now where have I seen that quote before? Aww well it will come to me.......wink.gif

Oh as for your topic point. My father never fished, he hated fishing. Said it was a waste of time and boring. I've been fishing since I was seven. Either on my own or with the neighbors kids. Now thirty years later the same still holds true.

My son has been fishing since he was three and enjoys our time together. But I've never made him go, I just ask if he wants to. Most times he will. I've never pressured him to go. He's afraid of going on a boat, so never has. But he's building up his courage and will go one day. I think he still has time, he's only six now. I'm in no rush. smile.gif

------------------

I Fish, Therefore I Am.

RFA Member

SDO Member

SOL #15,426

[This message has been edited by Cyclops (edited 08-24-2002).]

OK, I'm gonna get a little metaphysical, but stay with me . . .

I think there's something deeply subconscious about the ocean. The rthym, the sense of mystery (what's in that darkness?)

Notice how often we dream about it? Notice how often it appears in mythology and legends? I think being near the ocean, and coaxing out one of its mysterious, unseen creatures can be a kind of mystical experience. You may not be conscious of this aspect of fishing all the time, but it's definitely there.

TatonkaJames, where are you?

------------------

Whenever I find myself growing grim about the mouth; whenever it is a damp, drizzly November in my soul; -- then, I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can.

I agree with Ish. I grew up in Bayonne, NJ not a fishing town by any streach but it is a penninsula. We spent countless hours on the shore as kids exploring, building rafts, skipping rocks. i spent every summer of my life down the shore with my family in seaside park and fished alot with my friend and his grandfather ( thats a whole nother story). So I've always been near the ocean in some way. A few years ago my wife and I were in Arizona and I was acting weirder than usual. when she asked me what was wrong I told her I felt "claustaphobic", this in the middle of the desert. i thought about it for a while and it hit me that there was no ocean (or any water for that matter) near by. the more I thought about it the more sense it made. I "need" to be near the ocean. It is a definite part of my being, weather fishing, walking or drifting in my boat it where I am a peace.

Its the whole Picture.....

wind,Moon,Sun, suds, Finding fish.

Going out even when Ya tired cuz Ya know the Bass are there, and the Little Guy with the Hammer Hitting You in the head says Fish You Rat Pig Bastage....

when Your arms are swollen from a nasty run of fish and You make that last cast and Your Bumming Cuz the mid 20 pound Bass is torking the rod and Your to tired to reel it in, so You flip the reel upside down to give Your arm a break, You want to leave But You cant, It makes You mental, Ya need sleep and the next thing You know Your out the next night, Pumped up on 2 24oz coffie's and 4 wendy burgers followd By 2 honey buns.

shaken from the sugar You cast and the Mental starts again. this time You leave fish after only fishing 11 hours. A light night.

then Your Home and You get that sickning feeling, You need a fix. so You pound the sand 4 miles of walking, with no drag rope so You are forced not to Be a Pig even though in Your inner feelings. There is a little Bassmaster trying to get out of Your Head and into Your Lures.....

I cant take it. and I need help .

Fishaholics thats what You all are !

smell the Bass Poop and carry on, that is all..

I punish Slip each and every time I can

too many things about the whole experience that makes me "need" to fish that if i have to explain it to someone they aren't gonna get it. strangely most of the non -fisherman that do get are golfers.

This is a neat post but I think the answer has more a medical answer than metaphysical or instinctual. Just my .02 but I honestly think that the adrenalin rush that 99.9% of us expirience when we fish is the cause of this wonderful disease. Similar to the rush of sky divers or thrill seekers. I know that everytime I set a hook the adrenalin shoots through my blood and I can stay out for hours, thats what makes fishless ventures so frustrating.

Squidder

GeorgeK