Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bobber

my take on GLISS fishing line

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

I've said that braided line was the biggest inprovement in fishing in the last 20 years  (with "storm-shad-style" lures being a close 2nd).  the different brands and various number of strands used to make different lines were all modifications of the same old thing IMHO. 

Gliss is a little different-  its vastly thinner in diameter.  and perfectly silent coming thru the guides while fishing.  there was some discussion (see an earlier thread that has much more indepth discussion than I'm capable of...) about getting knots to hold due to small diameter and slippery surface of the material, but I've had no issues at all.  I use a double-UNI knot with 12 turns (on the braid side) and its held great.

biggest difference for me is casting distance.,.  using 12kg  (25lb) test line, I've throwing small lures wayy farther than ever before.  this has been really helpful when throwing to the hardtails along the RI coast. the jumpin' minnow I use frequently can be tossed as far as the small metals I would throw using the "old braid'  (20lb power pro).

My set-up is nothing fancy-  I use a Penn Battle 2500 reel on a 7 foot St Croix rod-  there have no problems with poor line lay even though this is not a high-end reel.  I've been throwing poppers often lately and ahven't had any wind knots (er whatever ya call them) with the inconsistent tension on the line while fishing that way....

theres my .02-

anyone else using this stuff??

Edited by bobber

Been using it for over 2 months now and love it. I know there was a question about how abrasive resistant  it was but i have had no issues so far fishing rocky areas (Knock on wood) cast great and the sound going thru the guides is non existant. It has added enough distance to my cast that i have been switcing over to my other surf rods.

Same....knots are a little fussy.  But i really like tthe stuff.

This stuff really replaces the need for distance specific rods and reels...

I have a custom 7' glass rock rod that throws farther than my stella on a 10' using 40lb braid.   

the 12lb cast much better than 10lb or 6lb suffix 832 and doens't make even the slightest sound through the guides.

I can't wait to match my stella fi to the new Daiwa Steez AGS and see how that performs.  ;)

I have been playing with the Yellow 24 & 40lb while bottom fishing for salmon for the past month. Haven't had an opportunity to test its knot strength while fighting a big 7-40lb salmon yet.We are awaiting more rain and cooler weather to spur a run up.

She does cast my (up to an oz) spoons a country mile with the 24lb while paired with my Stella 4000XGfi & a 10.6" older Loomis Mahogany rod that's for sure. I have found, if I'm not constantly vigilant, that I'm getting wind knots; doubling onto itself at the tip-section while having a FG or an Alberto knot. I'm doing some R&D.

Been frustrating, really frustrating as there's a few in the river but God hasn't graced me with a fight yet. So today the wife and I are heading up to the cottage with the hopes of me getting some fishing in & hitting & landing my first big bad boy chinni this year; they've been getting more rain up at this river in southern Ontario & my good buddy has sent me photo's of some monsters being caught on spoons. So I'm-ma out of this hustle & bustle of a town to get my "drug in the tug" dopamine. God willing, :p 

Then maybe some good R&D can be done on this 24 & 40lb Gliss while chucking spoons.

Same....knots are a little fussy. But i really like tthe stuff.

This stuff really replaces the need for distance specific rods and reels...

I have a custom 7' glass rock rod that throws farther than my stella on a 10' using 40lb braid.

the 12lb cast much better than 10lb or 6lb suffix 832 and doens't make even the slightest sound through the guides.

I can't wait to match my stella fi to the new Daiwa Steez AGS and see how that performs. ;)

Hey Scoob, I know in your other thread on gliss you had tested different knot strenghs, what knot would you say is best for terminal tackle like a swivel?

And thanks for posting all the research you did on it, sounds like great stuff so far

Is this stuff opaque like braid or transparent like mono / fluoro? Wondering if you need a fluoro leader if fishing for stripers / fluke / blackfish and other inshore species??

Hey Scoob, I know in your other thread on gliss you had tested different knot strenghs, what knot would you say is best for terminal tackle like a swivel?

And thanks for posting all the research you did on it, sounds like great stuff so far

If you are trying to get a knot to hold it's package rated strength.  I don't think that's possible.   Especially after it's broken in.

However.  a twice through the eye 9 turn uni, and double palomar hold ok....just don't expect it to overtest like most braids here do

I have been playing with the Yellow 24 & 40lb while bottom fishing for salmon for the past month. Haven't had an opportunity to test its knot strength while fighting a big 7-40lb salmon yet.We are awaiting more rain and cooler weather to spur a run up.

She does cast my (up to an oz) spoons a country mile with the 24lb while paired with my Stella 4000XGfi & a 10.6" older Loomis Mahogany rod that's for sure. I have found, if I'm not constantly vigilant, that I'm getting wind knots; doubling onto itself at the tip-section while having a FG or an Alberto knot. I'm doing some R&D.

Been frustrating, really frustrating as there's a few in the river but God hasn't graced me with a fight yet. So today the wife and I are heading up to the cottage with the hopes of me getting some fishing in & hitting & landing my first big bad boy chinni this year; they've been getting more rain up at this river in southern Ontario & my good buddy has sent me photo's of some monsters being caught on spoons. So I'm-ma out of this hustle & bustle of a town to get my "drug in the tug" dopamine. God willing, :p

Then maybe some good R&D can be done on this 24 & 40lb Gliss while chucking spoons.

What i've found with any and all line to line joins.  If the leader knot is on the spool it will flare on the cast and cause a knot on one of the guides.  K frames or not...didn't matter.    Cutting back the leader so the knot was no longer on the spool elimitated the issue completely.  

the incredible "thin-ness" of this line is a double edged sword.   it allows for incredible casting distance.  knots are a little tricky, but not terrible.  and the silence during retrieve is actually really nice

it does have the possibility of digging into itself  (or "caking" as the flyrod guys used to call it...)  it also means that you're goona need more than the typical 150yd spool to fill most 4000 or 5000 (or whatever) size reel since it uses up so little space o the spool  (either that, or put lots of backing on there beforehand-)

I just put some 12 lb Gliss on a reel to replace Nanofil. Will fish it tomorrow morning for Speckled Sea Trout and Redfish but here are my thoughts so far. When Nanofil was first introduces at the sports show (ICAST) in 2011, a tackle retailer friend had been to the show and gave me a spool of 8 lb to try out. I've fished Nanofil since then and had many of the same problems to overcome but the distance advantage was worth it. Now I'm going to try two new lines that show promise to me, Gliss and Fins 40G. The leader knot that I use is a Red Phillips knot with three additional half-hitches in the main line after the RP knot is tied. Before using this knot I lost many fish because Nanofil was too slippery but after about a months time experimenting, I have not had any problems with my main to leader knot. My usual leader is Seagar 12# red label. So here is what I've noted. Both the Gliss 12# and the 40G 15# are about the same diameter and I cannot feel any difference in their textures. Both spool on nicely and they don't dig in on the spool under stress. This could be the result of spooling new line on under more stress than most folks use as I do it so all line wraps are tight. The leader knots (RP) are very clean and they feel tighter that when I used Nanofil. I know it is just feel but those of us who have fished a lot for 50+ years can generally feel the integrity of a knot. Anyway, I'll be fishing both these lines tomorrow morning and, God willing, I'll be able to catch some good testers.