Wigeon

Official Tavern Hunting Thread....

Rate this topic

15,726 posts in this topic

I'm pretty pumped... my 13 year old son has been hunting for 3 years, but this past Sunday my 12 year old daughter just passed her hunter's ed tests for guns and archery.  We picked up her licenses yesterday.  The youth gun day on Saturday cannot get here soon enough.  I don't know which one of us is more excited... and based off of her comments yesterday there will be no waiting for a bigger doe or a buck, I feel bad for the first thing that walks out on Saturday.

Being home sick and bummed that I missed my Saturday in the woods I decided to take advantage of the mid day quiet and sat on the couch blind until some unsuspecting squirrels walked by. Watched for about 20 minutes and counted 8 of them coming down the hill, snooping for food then running back up.

2B6665B6-3FAD-404C-9C44-15396A031DF4.jpeg.2d328dd9b870cfcaef3f9fc1ebf7af9f.jpeg

Picked two bigguns, slid the slider open slowly and waited for the shot. Lost two front shoulders due to the gun hitting low and left, but the rest are nice and meaty and enough to be sided with some veggies. I was surprised because the way they dropped I was sure they were clean head shots. Not even a kick after they leaned over. I’ll have to remember the hold over until I re-sight in with these pellets since they’re a bit heavier than what I sighted in with, the Crosman Premier HP 7.9gr. These were taken with Sig Sauer Wraith 10.65gr. 

274C24C8-6A9D-4791-B446-7647E783AECB.jpeg.e938fab11e7a9b784c673b426fc2ff93.jpeg

It’s been years and skinning the first one wasn’t as easy as I remember. The tail came off so I had to separate the skin around the back legs down to mid chest with my finger to make a flap to step on while I pulled. The second went a lot better. Legs are soaking in a brine for a couple days and the rest went over the hill for the foxes and coons. I’m sure they’ll appreciate it 

2ECEB8F9-4AEE-452D-80CC-6927904A5655.jpeg.46a95ccd15f7be6b58f3bf92ff12ee2a.jpeg

I think you need to cook the soup a little longer.... :D

Good job

I told my wife I was going to do that  to the ones she has been feeding the last few months.     I know they would taste great being corn fed...  

Ha that and pick the rest of the hair off that happened with the tail mishap. 

Thank you. 

These are acorn and peanut fed. Now that the acorns are gone I throw a handful of peanuts out there every couple days to keep them fat. I used the bag crinkling call to bring them in and threw the bait out just before I sat. I waited so many minutes (4) before the small ones came down. When the big ones saw they made it out of it they made their mistake. 

Edited by chessie_yaker

Barrrro dog is more awesome every day. MOFO is best "jump dog" I ever hunted with. Corn is cut but they still don't want to get out of the thick so its shoot right at your feet or be ready for the very brief moment they come out on the edge. 

Prayers to your Dad Jase.  That’s a picture of a happy man.

Love hearing about the rabbit dogs.  I’ve only done it a handful of times but it’s magical.  There were times I wouldn’t shoot just because I wanted to hear the dogs.

1 hour ago, Kbetts said:

Prayers to your Dad Jase.  That’s a picture of a happy man.

Love hearing about the rabbit dogs.  I’ve only done it a handful of times but it’s magical.  There were times I wouldn’t shoot just because I wanted to hear the dogs.

There is something to hearing the dogs sound off.

My grandfather had a beagle years ago but we never shot a cotton tail over it.  He enjoyed letting Mushy run them but wouldn't shoot them.  

He  also had a couple of coon dogs we would run and that was his real passion.   The Redbone was fantastic. If the coon wasn't dead when it hit the ground it was in an instant once Rusty grabbed it.    The other one, a blue tick named pudding head wasn't as good.  She had a bad habit of grabbing it by the back leg...

21 hours ago, chessie_yaker said:

Being home sick and bummed that I missed my Saturday in the woods I decided to take advantage of the mid day quiet and sat on the couch blind until some unsuspecting squirrels walked by. Watched for about 20 minutes and counted 8 of them coming down the hill, snooping for food then running back up.

2B6665B6-3FAD-404C-9C44-15396A031DF4.jpeg.2d328dd9b870cfcaef3f9fc1ebf7af9f.jpeg

Picked two bigguns, slid the slider open slowly and waited for the shot. Lost two front shoulders due to the gun hitting low and left, but the rest are nice and meaty and enough to be sided with some veggies. I was surprised because the way they dropped I was sure they were clean head shots. Not even a kick after they leaned over. I’ll have to remember the hold over until I re-sight in with these pellets since they’re a bit heavier than what I sighted in with, the Crosman Premier HP 7.9gr. These were taken with Sig Sauer Wraith 10.65gr. 

274C24C8-6A9D-4791-B446-7647E783AECB.jpeg.e938fab11e7a9b784c673b426fc2ff93.jpeg

It’s been years and skinning the first one wasn’t as easy as I remember. The tail came off so I had to separate the skin around the back legs down to mid chest with my finger to make a flap to step on while I pulled. The second went a lot better. Legs are soaking in a brine for a couple days and the rest went over the hill for the foxes and coons. I’m sure they’ll appreciate it 

2ECEB8F9-4AEE-452D-80CC-6927904A5655.jpeg.46a95ccd15f7be6b58f3bf92ff12ee2a.jpeg

You didn't keep the loins?  There's a lot of meat there.   Post up the results of the buffalo dish.  I can only imagine they will be tough.   I have always thought you had to parboil them. 

1 min ago, JaseB said:

You didn't keep the loins?  There's a lot of meat there.   Post up the results of the buffalo dish.  I can only imagine they will be tough.   I have always thought you had to parboil them. 

I didn’t even think about it to be honest. Head cold cloudiness had me just wanting to get done and wash up. But I’ll keep that in mind the next time. 

So a good buddy from high school moved out to WV to live on his grandmas Christmas tree farm and lives the hills life out there. Great guy. I hit him up and asked how he does it and he said his Grammy said to boil for an hour (gets the little hairs from skinning off as well) roll them them in egg, flour with pepper and salt and fry them up in a skillet. He said without that boil I’ll be wishing I did. He says they’re as good as gizzards after a boil, which doesn’t mean much to me because I’ve never had them, but the way he talks about them makes me want to try them. 

I’ll post them up in the food thread, probably make them Saturday or Sunday. I’m thinking about finding duck fat to fry them in. I love duck fat. If not, peanut oil. 

11 mins ago, chessie_yaker said:

I didn’t even think about it to be honest. Head cold cloudiness had me just wanting to get done and wash up. But I’ll keep that in mind the next time. 

So a good buddy from high school moved out to WV to live on his grandmas Christmas tree farm and lives the hills life out there. Great guy. I hit him up and asked how he does it and he said his Grammy said to boil for an hour (gets the little hairs from skinning off as well) roll them them in egg, flour with pepper and salt and fry them up in a skillet. He said without that boil I’ll be wishing I did. He says they’re as good as gizzards after a boil, which doesn’t mean much to me because I’ve never had them, but the way he talks about them makes me want to try them. 

I’ll post them up in the food thread, probably make them Saturday or Sunday. I’m thinking about finding duck fat to fry them in. I love duck fat. If not, peanut oil. 

I thought you were going to make that buffalo one.

If not, what I do is not that different, parboil until tender, roll in flour and skillet fry and veg oil and butter.  Just to brown them, they're already cooked.  You don't want to use fancy duck fat, b/c when you're done with the frying add a little more butter to the skillet, Tbl or 2 of flour and make a roux, cook for a minute just to give it a little color, and then make a gravy using the broth you boiled the squirrels in.   Squirrel gravy is the best gravy in the word.   Make a pan of cornbread, top a piece with squirrel gravy and a couple of pieces of squirrel and you're in heaven.   Gizards?  No way.  Much better.

To be honest, I have changed that a bit.   I boil the whole carcasses until the meat falls off the bones.   Pick it, you'd be surprised how much is one the ribs, etc.   Then toss the meat in flour s&p and then fry as mentioned above.    When good and crispy, leave it in the skillet and add the flour to make the gravy, no chocked with crunchy squirrel meat.  It's kind of like making sausage gravy.    Slather than over cornbread and devour.   I only eat it a couple times a year, but it's one of my favorites.