Official Tavern Hunting Thread....

Rate this topic

Wigeon

1 hour ago, SB59 said:

DECEMBER 6, 2022
NJ Bear Hunt Is Now Open

The NJ Black Bear Hunt is open effective immediately today, Tuesday, December 6, 2022. The NJ Appellate Court has found the Emergency Rule valid.

BEAR HUNT UPDATE: The NJ Black Bear Hunt is open effective immediately today, Tuesday, December 6, 2022. The NJ Appellate Court has found the Emergency Rule valid. See the court ruling here: https://dep.nj.gov/wp-content/uploads/njfw/2022-12-06-court-order-black-bear-hunt.pdf

Hunters must check all bears harvested at a mandatory bear check station. Hunters shall surrender the black bear transportation tag and will be issued a legal possession seal. Bear check is NOT available through the automated system. Today (12/6), bear check stations will be open from 4 p.m. – 7 p.m. Bear check stations will be open noon – 7 p.m. Wednesday, December 7 through Saturday, December 10. 

When field dressing a black bear, leave the sex organs intact, attached to the body. A harvested black bear may be quartered and brought out of the field in sections.

Regulation Changes:

• Hunters may NOT attempt to take or kill a black bear weighing less than 75 pounds (live weight), or less than 50 pounds dressed.

• Hunters may NOT attempt to take or kill an adult black bear that is in the presence of cub(s) (bears weighing less than 75 pounds).

• Hunters may NOT attempt to take or kill a black bear or have a loaded weapon within 300 ft. of a baited area when hunting bears.

Mandatory Bear Check Stations: https://dep.nj.gov/wp-content/uploads/njfw/2022-bear-check-stations.pdf

2022 Bear Hunting Season Information: https://dep.nj.gov/njfw/bears/bear-hunting-season-information/

"Depend not on fortune, but on conduct."

On 12/5/2022 at 3:48 PM, LBI SurfRat said:

No luck this morning. We get to the woods at 545 and deer club is already lined up.  Uugghh. I've had clubs show up at 8-9am but never at sunup. Crazy.  So instead of sitting a ground blind I put him in a tree stand. Didn't want him on the ground with buckshot flying. I get him set up.   drive down the road and they are lined up again to go right at my son. I talk to a few of them letting them know where my son is. They were cool about (not that they had a choice).  At 7 they start their hootin and hollering. Tell my son(thru text) to be ready some deer double back. 10 minutes after the driver's walk by (they said good morning to my son lol) 4 or 5 deer double back and bound past my son. He was watching them run away and didn't realize a small Y buck snuck past him. He said he wasn't comfortable taking a running shot. 

When the drive started I snuck down a fire trail about 75 yards to the side of the drive. My plan worked as I had 2 deer come with 30 yards of me but neither had an antler. Lol. Picked my son up around 830. We discussing heading to another spot and headed that way only to find 20 guys getting ready to drive it.  We called it at that point. We took the long way out and my son counted over 30 vehicles and 75 people that we could see starting a drive or standing just off the road.  No thanks. Not for me. We'll go back in 2 weeks. 

Funny part was I joked about him going back to school and he said yep. So he was in school by 1030. He's a good kid. 

Man, that sucks. This is why I belong to a club that leases their own land. I never see another hunter other than  a few friends. lol

20 hours ago, ChumSlickJon said:

Drives are actually a lot of fun when your on their side. Trying to actually hunt in the middle of their drives sucks.

I can't hit a deer running 90 mph. A more quiet drive and the deer aren't running for their lives. 

You know it must be a penguin bound down if you hear that terrible screaming and there ain't no other birds around. 

1 hour ago, MikeMc said:

Man, that sucks. This is why I belong to a club that leases their own land. I never see another hunter other than  a few friends. lol

I mostly hunt my own 40 acre piece. I don't post it, but only see another hunter maybe once or twice a year.

When I was dragging my buck out, once I hit the logging road about halfway a guy caught up to me dragging a spike.  Never saw him from my stand, and the shot sounded at least a half mile away. Haven't seen anyone else since. 

I'll have mine on the rocks.

1 hour ago, MikeMc said:

So instead of sitting a ground blind I put him in a tree stand. Didn't want him on the ground with buckshot flying.

My 1st deer season many moons ago I was a guest on a buds club. When I wrapped up for the morning I eased out and came upon a few members target shootin slugs at bottles on a limb about 7ft up towards the woods where others were still hunting. I didn't join that club.

Walked up the state property today and noticed my neighbor (who hasn’t been up in 2 decades) barn doors were open, getting dark so I’m not gonna play the vigilante, figure walk up there tomorrow during daylight and confirm nobody is in there, close the doors and put a log in front of it, we had 50 mph winds the other day so I guess it’s possible they blew open 

right now I have a cell cam on it lol

488F037D-A29E-4826-ACE4-030461A6DAC6.jpeg

If you try to change it, you will ruin it. Try to hold it, and you will lose it.

Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

10 hours ago, Sandflee said:

Walked up the state property today and noticed my neighbor (who hasn’t been up in 2 decades) barn doors were open, getting dark so I’m not gonna play the vigilante, figure walk up there tomorrow during daylight and confirm nobody is in there, close the doors and put a log in front of it, we had 50 mph winds the other day so I guess it’s possible they blew open 

right now I have a cell cam on it lol

488F037D-A29E-4826-ACE4-030461A6DAC6.jpeg

I think you mentioned that before? Any idea why?