Official Tavern Hunting Thread....

Rate this topic

Wigeon

About the e-bike. I don't know any one who has one .Everyone I know uses a 4wheeler or side by side .There are electric golf type carts used also. They are much more useful than a bike. Hauling in stands, blinds , bait and of course dragging or carrying out bagged game. If alarming game is an issue it doesn't matter during the off season much as most animals around farming are used to hearing seeing machinery and during hunting season we just ride about 3/4 of the way to our stands cut walking time and distance. There's several older men in our club and none of them could walk to where they hunt. One guy used to use a bright red riding mower w/o the deck and park less than 100 yards from his stand and gets several deer a year. It doesn't seem to bother or scare off the deer.

32 mins ago, Fishing Pete said:

I hear reports of feral hogs in NJ.

I saw some of those at the bar after the Flukefling.  Y was in hot pursuit.

Edited by JaseB

"all of jase's posts are valid." -Otter

The E Bike would be great for getting into some deep areas of state land here, unfortunately they are not permitted in NYS on State lands

Edited by Sandflee

If you try to change it, you will ruin it. Try to hold it, and you will lose it.

Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

Best weather morning for turkey hunting in a week. Somebody forgot to tell the turkeys though. Could've heard one for miles from the top of the ridge I was on. Didn't hear a thing. Busted one gobbler off the roost 100 yards after I had 3 owls making a racket and he never gobbled at it. Did a 4 mile hike calling every couple of hundred yards without a response. Halfway through came up over a small knoll and 4 turkeys spooked, at least one was a good sized gobbler.

Maddening when they go silent. The whole show for me is hearing them and working em' in.  Boring to hunt them like a deer.

I'll have mine on the rocks.

13 mins ago, Eagles Dare said:

Best weather morning for turkey hunting in a week. Somebody forgot to tell the turkeys though. Could've heard one for miles from the top of the ridge I was on. Didn't hear a thing. Busted one gobbler off the roost 100 yards after I had 3 owls making a racket and he never gobbled at it. Did a 4 mile hike calling every couple of hundred yards without a response. Halfway through came up over a small knoll and 4 turkeys spooked, at least one was a good sized gobbler.

Maddening when they go silent. The whole show for me is hearing them and working em' in.  Boring to hunt them like a deer.

If turkey hunting were a 100% silent endeavor I wouldn't bother......the gobbles are 75% of the hunt for me.

Diversity makes us stronger!

I went out to the horse farm I hunt today to set up a turkey blind. I have not been out there since the last day of deer season. I forgot about a camera that I left there in January and I checked the card when I got home. Looks like the turkeys finally came back. Last season I did not see or hear a single turkey when I hunted them.

181324934_10220188542650000_574279926433