Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bigfish95

Braid for VS200

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I made a deal on a vs200 and should be getting it within the next few days. I am going to put it on my 10'6" St Croix Mojo MM that I picked last week. I usually use 50lb braided spiderwire or powerpro with 20-25lb mono backing. I have my penn battle and vs250 both setup like that. My question is, should I put less then 50lb braid or is that okay for the vs200? Im primarily using it to fish for Stripers and Blues in Montauk, Riis park and the surf along jersey and long island. I will be fishing around rocks and etc, so I will use a leader that I normally use in the surf. Would I be better off using a lower pound test braid to increase casting distance or should I stick with around 300yards of 50lb??? 

I have a similar setup and have only used 30lb braid.  Using 50lb seems like overkill to me but I don't fish around rocks and would rather get more distance.  Suffix 832 is great line.  I have used that for years on many different rods and reels. 

Edited by 40shades-of-blue

Thanks everyone, Think im gonna use 50lb PP and 15-20lb backing. Il test it out. If I feel its too much I can always drop to 40lb PP. Diameter wise I think the 50lb I have is 12 so thats pretty thin and shouldnt cut my casts or anything. Works great on my vs250. Just wasnt sure if their was a transition with the vs200

I don't do backing because I figure from time to time you use and lose one off the real and if you have backing you have to go back and have this fulfilled sooner . I would just fill it up so I don't have to worry about it during the season

I go full spool of PP Slick 8 50# on my vs200 and love it. casts noticeably farther than the regular PP and seems to do well around rocks. Full spool because I can handle yellowfin with it s well and when the top gets worn out I can flip it on the reel and add a little backing if need be and fish it another season or two.

I'd go full spool like some have suggested or at least a full 300 yards. I would also go 30lb. I like Spiderwire too. I had a great first time experience with the PP super slick as well. There will be a significant dif casting 30 and 50 on that rod/reel combo IMO. The lighter line works better with the smaller guides on that rod. You mentioned Montauk. I do prefer 50 in Montauk for abrasion reasons but on  your outfit, I'd still confidently go with 30 even in M. I don't want to give up any yardage in distance out there. I just never saw the sense in ever fishing 40lb. No disrespect to the 40lb users.

No backing anymore. I put tape first.

For Braided line:

Suffix 832 20lb or 30lb only. 

or Jerry Brown Braided Line 20lb./300yds

- both of these has been tried and tested by me. Much friendlier to use too. Doesn't cut hands and easy on guides. Tight Lines!