Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gamakatsu

How long have you been online?

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

Started working with very basic computer/direct input systems in 1980 (the company I worked with pioneered the use of PCs (IBM "A"s) and direct line input of data into other companies via telephone lines.

Direct, on line, internet: 1992 or there about with another company I worked for. About 3 years later, personally at home.

Business wise we started "interfacing," policy records in 1985 or 86. Our computer at the time was an IBM Series 1 and was the size of a refrigerator.

I got my first AOL account in 1995.

My first experience with places like SOL was in 2000.

I was a Bitnaut and a NetHead back in the mid-eighties and writing in hypertext by 90 or 91. Of course, I haven't written anything in hypertext since then! biggrin.gif

Anyone who "gets" the Bitnaut or NetHead references gets a WHooooHOOOOO!!!

Nothing left to do but smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

For those that complain about 56K speed ... sometime in early 1987, a Commodore 64 user group up in Minnesota gifted me with a 300 baud dial-up modem (that's 300 versus 56,000; roughly 187 times slower), in return for a cataloging program I wrote for them, and that started my "online" experience from home. Al Gore's invention didn't exist yet. wink.gif

PA, I was doing 300 baud in 1982 on an Apple II with a 6502 processor. My greatest day was upgrading from 32K to 48K so that my machine could run "Applesoft Basic". Then Santa got me a 1200 baud Applecat modem--It was heaven. In those days, you dialed up to BBS sites and downloaded pirated softwate with a "phreak" number.

In those days, you dialed up to BBS sites and downloaded pirated softwate with a "phreak" number.

Ahhhhhhh.... the good old days. cwm27.gif

A few guys at work were running Apple's and Shack-nasties (Crash-80's) in the same time frame as you... I held out for a Vic20 (16K total memory, with 11K available for programming in, in '84 I think), or as my wife less-than-affectionately called it, a Vickie. I remember waiting in a long line outside a computer store a couple of christmas' later to score a new "64" literally off the back of the semi... home computing was in it's infancy boom, and stores could not keep the shelves stocked.

[ 03-07-2005, 12:32 PM: Message edited by: PASurfer ]