Which would you choose?

Rate this topic

jpcool

You know what I haven't used a finger shield yet, not ever. I don't feel discomfort when casting, maybe it's because I use a bailed reel.

wow.......are you really laying into your cast?  I can't see anyone not using a shield with this kind of plug weight unless you're timing the cast perfectly in accordance to your line drop ....

Update:  I finally got out last night and tested the custom legend (same type as the one in Zeno's videos) from the open beach.  First off the action on this rod was different than any other rod I have casted before.  It is marked Medium Power Moderate action, it is light and balances well with my Shimano reel. I was on a South shore facing beach in the middle of the incoming tide, the wind was light about 10 mph coming from the South West with a strong easterly sweep.  My fist cast was using a yellow SS Darter, I started off easy then laid into it a little more after getting comfortable.  I felt like it cast a mile but couldn't really tell since it was dark and could not see where my plug was landing.  The next plug was a blurple SP minnow much lighter than the darter so I only had to use the tip of the rod to cast it into the wash same as the 1 1/2 white bucktail.  It felt like I had much more control with this rod, with a flick I could put the bucktail in the white water in front of me and had good feedback from the rod and to what the lure was doing.  One thing to note, in the middle of a cast the rod would continue to wiggle and virbrate in my hand until the plug hit the water.  I don't recall that same feeling when using any of my other rods.  On the next trip I will try casting heavier plugs and maybe an eel. Maybe next time I will actually catch a fish.

Edited by jpcool

I am in the market for a 10'6 surf rod for the fall, rated up to 4oz. I have narrowed it down to 3 choices within my budget. The choices are ; Airwave Elite, MOJO and a used custom rod built on a Legend blank by a well known local builder. What would you choose?

Lengend! Nice rod very light and cast like a rocket!