Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jpcool

Which would you choose?

Rate this topic

68 posts in this topic

lot's of food for thought... lots of great insight but can definitely be overwhelming.

one other way that i tend to think of things isn't just whether i cast fast or slow as you put it, but what part of the rod i am casting predominantly with or loading. i fish primarily a rod with an extremely fast action rated 1-4oz. when i'm throwing a 3/4oz bucktail i rely on loading the tip (i need a rod with a soft tip to cast on the low end of the weight rating) and when throwing something like an ss darter or heavy rubber shad i use the midsection of the rod more.

you mentioned the learning curve. the air wave or mojo might be a bit easier to cast right now whereas the legend will probably be a bit tougher to learn, but i'd say that, assuming it's in real solid shape, the legend might be the better preforming rod overall.

Go with the better value which would be the legend. It seems any rod you get will be a learning curve and as already mentioned you can always sell what doesn't work.

Go with the better value which would be the legend. It seems any rod you get will be a learning curve and as already mentioned you can always sell what doesn't work.

This is good advice. The whole thread has been good.

Is the airwave elite more moderate than the mojo?

No. The Elite is a fast action rod. The Mojo is a Moderate, on the 3/4 to 4 oz version, or Mod Fast, 2 to 6.

There is one more plus side to buying the Legend from this builder. He has been fishing my area for over 30 years and he knows his stuff, he dropped a couple of jewels on me when I went to go see the rod. I picked his brain for a few minutes and he was more than happy to answer all of my questions. I fish with a lot of guys and I am the most experienced ( or more determined) out of the bunch. I am in need a local mentor, can't learn everything from books or YouTube.

I'd say mojo too...all around great rod and will out cast the legend and throws smaller stuff better then the legend. The 10'6 elite is a beefy rod from watch I remember tho 9'6" is a nice rod.

Be careful buying custom equipment cause remember these rods are made to people's physical size and preferences, what is great for one could be horrible for another.

Good luck

I own and elite 10'6 and its a fast mh rod the excels at 2-21/2 oz the 11 elite is a med action rod (owns one ) I havnt fished it yet but the feel of the rod is much different from the 10'6 and its rated to 1-4 much softer tip I think the sweet spot for this is around 2-3 but like evey body says its a learning curb

The customized rod was made depending on the layout provided by the user using factors like: reel size/weight, arms lenght, fishing line, casting practices and fishing conditions. Verify first if these would match what you have before you try to cast your line. Just my 2 cents.

As stated earlier, you're going to have to adapt to any of these rods. Get the Legend. I have fished 9', 10', and both 10'6" Legends and love them. If the blank is truly under warranty, get it. If you get one of the lower end rods, you're eventually going to want something better. I actually found the 3/4-4 10'6" to be fairly moderate action for me. I had to lay off of my cast a bit and let the rod do the work. 

HanoverStriper, you are refering to Surf Legend with moderate tip, right? Because there's also a fast tip version 1-3oz. Would you choose a moderate tip Surf Legend over the Lami Super Surf 2G of same lenght? I'm also trying to decide between the two. Thanks.

I've had a factory 10'6" 3/4-4oz Legend since 2009 and it took me a while to adjust to casting it.  Like Hanover said you have to lay off a bit and let the rod do the work.  It took me a while to figure that out and force myself to do it.  Once I got the hang of it throwing pencils in the 2-2.5oz range wow do they fly!  On a side note JPcool post of photos of the rod when you get a chance.  I'm interested to see what a custom legend looks like. 

Edited by 40shades-of-blue

I've had a factory 10'6" 3/4-4oz Legend since 2009 and it took me a while to adjust to casting it.  Like Hanover said you have to lay off a bit and let the rod do the work.  It took me a while to figure that out and force myself to do it.  Once I got the hang of it throwing pencils in the 2-2.5oz range wow do they fly!  On a side note JPcool post of photos of the rod when you get a chance.  I'm interested to see what a custom legend looks like.

Zeno Hromin has a custom Legend. It's in his tutorial for casting a bailless reel in the surf. It looks like a sweet rod.

Alex

Are you sure?  This one?  I've seen this video in the past.  The rod looks black or at least much darker than the blueish green of the Legends and where it splits looks more like 50/50 than the 70/30.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdO4fQwDIZk

Zeno Hromin has a custom Legend. It's in his tutorial for casting a bailless reel in the surf. It looks like a sweet rod.

Alex

Edited by 40shades-of-blue