Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jpcool

Which would you choose?

Rate this topic

68 posts in this topic

Here's a thought I overlooked..........this used custom, impression I got is you would be buying it from the builder himself.....is he going to warranty it in any way for say 30 days? If not,  a new mojo might be the smarter move for your money.

He said the blank would be covered by St. Croix and he stands behind his stuff, any problems with guides, wraps, or real seat he would take care of. Definitely more of a hassle then getting a factory new rod.

I am basically new to the surf so my casting style is still evolving, I think I will rock with the Legend, it's a level above the Mojo.

If your new to it i think the airwave or mojo would be a better fit. The legend is a high performance rod that would be wasted on you and might turn you away more then interest you in the sport. Its not that one rod is better then the other it also depends on your level and what you would get the most out of well having fun. Different rods cost more to make doesn't mean they are always better because they cost more to make.   

Edited by sandbars

The faster the rod the more stiffer it is in class. For example the mojo might be med fast at sc2 graphite and the legend might be med fast at a sc4 graphite but the legend is  a much stiffer blank at a graphite 4 rating.

The faster the rod the more stiffer it is in class. For example the mojo might be med fast at sc2 graphite and the legend might be med fast at a sc4 graphite but the legend is  a much stiffer blank at a graphite 4 rating.

Like Bars said.......plus then there are other style rods.......like the lami gsb blanks that are slower and softer, have whats called a more parabolic action....fast action feels like its just the upper portion of the rod making the cast, a parabolic rod feels like its bending almost down to the reel seat....its easy to feel when casting, tougher to explain with words......the older fiberglass rods were very parabolic depending on the model.

Have you fished enough to have a gut feel for what type of rod action you prefer between say med fast and parabolic, even if its freshwater?  If you havent, I would second Bars idea of maybe going with the mojo or airwave(which I havent thrown). Probably better in general to have more of a mid range rod action wise if youre totally starting out, allows you over time to learn if you like a rod thats on the slower end or faster end of the scale........the legend is a better rod but its action is not a mid range rod. I can't say the legend would be wasted on you....you might take right to it........but Im guessing only 1 in 5 fisherman would who were new to casting.

Edited by Vermonter

So the Legend has a Medium Fast action. What does that actually mean and how does that translate to the plug you are casting?

Depends on your level some will feel like they are connected to the plugs others with less experience will be sloppy and will hate it because they have no feel for it. I would go with sc2 over 4 to start. 

I should be able to adapt to any rod once I get it in my hands. Whichever rod I choose will be a learning curve, but I understand that casting style is a big part of it. I would describe my casting style as fast. Once I set up I whip it fast as opposed to a slower long cast. You guys have given some food for thought.

If your asking which will cast farther it would be a slower action rod, if your asking which would rip a fishes head of its shoulders it would be a fast action rod. Slow action rods bend more towards the butt fast action rods more towards the tip. You need a lot less energy with a slow action rod.

Tough question to answer a lot of guys like moderate action for pencils and fast action for spooks and other top water. For me all depends on the action the plug is giving me some act better at a slower action some better at a faster action. 

The Legend is in good shape and in the same price range as the new MOJO and Airwave, seems like a good deal. The builder is well know and nice guy too. I figure if the rod doesn't work for me I can resell pretty easily.

BINGO!! Go with that Legend !!