Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jpcool

Which would you choose?

Rate this topic

68 posts in this topic

I am in the market for a 10'6 surf rod for the fall, rated up to 4oz. I have narrowed it down to 3 choices within my budget. The choices are ; Airwave Elite, MOJO and a used custom rod built on a Legend blank by a well known local builder. What would you choose?

Edited by jpcool

If the custom is in good condition, go for the custom rod. I have a Mojo and love it. You can't go wrong with either of the options. :)

Alex

Legend......actuallyong as the rod's layout worked with the reel I had for it.

how do you know for sure if the particular reel works with the rod without actually casting it?

^^^agreed. bring the reel in and the person / shop selling the rod should certainly let you test cast it.

I'll give another nod to the legend. can't go wrong with the mojo but the 10'6" legend blank is great in terms of strength and sensitivity.

Definitely check out this rod review by jskinner. review is of the 11' airwave elite but is definitely relevant:

how do you know for sure if the particular reel works with the rod without actually casting it?

The rod is already used.........you should certainly be allowed some test casts before purchasing a used rod....even a new one if the shop owner knows you at all.

Since the rod was custom built for someone else........things I would look at would be.........reel seat location-does it work for you and the length of your arms and casting style?.............is the collector guide of a proper size for the reel you will use and will you be using mono or braid? or both? Is the collector at the right spot on the rod roughly for your reel.

In the end, they're all good rods. Ive thrown both the legend and mojo and heard some good things about the airwaves, especially considering their price.

added........plus I just looked at the Airwaves since Ive never tossed one.........you might want to think about going to 11' H in an airwave if youre really going to be tossing 4 oz lures.........someone else may know how true the Airwave lure ratings are..........the 10-6 is only rated to 3.5 and ratings are notoriously off with many manufacturers, usually inflated.

Edited by Vermonter

The Legend is in good shape and in the same price range as the new MOJO and Airwave, seems like a good deal. The builder is well know and nice guy too. I figure if the rod doesn't work for me I can resell pretty easily.

Every rod has a different action, i always ask peoples opinion on equipment but at the end of the day i always go with what feels right in my hands. Just because its a legend blank doesn't really mean **** at the end of the day if it doesn't feel right to you. But alway's good to get opinions.