Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ShakyMan

LBI Fishing-Beach Replenishment

Rate this topic

90 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Been awhile away from here, feels good to scroll through the boards again.

I've got a week in LBI coming up, and every year during this time I fluke fish at dusk/shark fish at night. I'm staying in Beach Haven, a good distance south of where the "Beach Replenishment" projects are happening. My one question is if people have been catching in the area despite the projects happening, because I have never fished in this situation in my life. I don't need to know on what, where, or when. Just if you guys have been catching or if you've caught in other places in NJ while a similar project was happening.

Thanks guys

:shaky:

Been catching a few.....no records broken by any means....haven't seen the usual life in the wash....Rays, Spot, Snappers, Kings.....some small spearing appeared yesterday and so did a few fluke but the bait has been hard to find. Beach replenishment is concluding in the BH area.....check with Margaret at Jingles....she reports daily.

It's going to be different fishing down here once the jettys are gone.......my ole' friends are leaving......for a while anyway.

Heard today the latter half of the scheduled areas off this project down in deep BH and Holgate are going to be delayed and will-not effect the fall run there at least with work being done.

Heard today the latter half of the scheduled areas off this project down in deep BH and Holgate are going to be delayed and will-not effect the fall run there at least with work being done.

Correct. Margaret was telling me pushed to December when I was in there Sunday. Pretty good news

Are you guys talking about near the sea spray hotel? I was there in the spring and there was a deep trough parallel to the beach for maybe 50 yards. Obviously has changed significantly, but have they replenished that area?

The fluking from the beach for me at least this summer has been bad. I am in a non repelnished area, but due to the predominantly SE winds and current it gets filled in almost overnight anytime some semblance of structure appears. We need a good tropical storm or 2 to shake things up.

You fellas are correct....south island scheduled for this later fall. Unfortunately the beach as we know it will have changed.....no more jettys....must employ different fishing tactics to catch as my friends the rock piles will be leaving for awhile anyway.......I'm saddened by this.

I believe the long shore current is north to south on LBI. All that sand will hit Holgate soon enough.

Then shoal in Little Egg Inlet eventually.

Shame those jetties and good surf spots on south end of island will be buried.

LBI has the nicest sand in NJ I think too...get ready for gravelly mud like Monmouth County.

Geeezzzzz.........the picture looks bleaker by the day.  Ya just don't know what you have 'till it's gone.

Back to the cups, bowls, troughs, cuts, slopes and sloughs......start studyin'.

Edited by Mr. Bigdeal

I believe the long shore current is north to south on LBI. All that sand will hit Holgate soon enough.

Then shoal in Little Egg Inlet eventually.

Shame those jetties and good surf spots on south end of island will be buried.

LBI has the nicest sand in NJ I think too...get ready for gravelly mud like Monmouth County.

I still cringe at the black sand that is in some parts of MoCo. It's unbelievable how they were allowed to even botch up the sand quality.

Edited by Sheisty