Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TimS

What do you call these critters?

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

bait_critters.jpg

bait_critters1.jpg

I know, I know...the roundish ones are peanuts...thanks so much wink.gif But what about the other ones? I use to catch them as a kid and we always called them yellowtails. Why? Because they have yellow tails and we didn't know any better wink.gif

But what are they really called? cwm13.gif

TimS

Here's a top view of one of the mystery critters...in case it helps smile.gif They really do have an odd shaped mouth, you can see it from above pretty clearly in this photo:

bait_critters2.jpg

TimS

If that have a small dorsal, and longer fin behind dorsal that travels thru to the tail and a ventral fin that matches, which from the overhead looks like it....they are small big eye scad.

Phil L

Big Eye Scad, I caught them last year in the cast net. A fishing buddy verified that they were Big Eye Scad. Did some looking up on them and they seem to be more of a southern baitfish. They use them down in Florida and can be quite pricy from what I understand. The mouth got me too Tim, very similiar to a crappie's mouth.

We threw them back after a few pictures, just in case it was some kind of rare fish or if there were any regs on them.

theys alot more stupider than tinks. tinks all hopped up on major gogo juice, these things just mull around. net a few, hey we'll be right back you can net us again. none too bright cwm13.gif

royalties? oh yes icon14.gif