Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jpcool

How do I get started building plugs?

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

That being said, small Harbor Freight lathe, Belt sander w/ grinding wheel, a vice, locking pliers FACE MASK/SHIELD, heavy duty dust mask (the filter kind, not that paper sh**t), a power drill with all kinds of bits, especially forstner bits. A drill chuck for your lathe and a chuck arbor that MATCHES the size of your drill chuck AND YOUR LATHE. a band saw or at least a table scroll saw, coarse all the way to fine sandpaper, band aids. the list goes waaaaaaaaaaaay on..... never wear jewelry or long sleeves or hangy clothing around rotating tools.

Edited by TipUp

If you wanted bare minimum, I think you could get away with just buying a lathe as a single big purchase. With a drill chuck for through drilling, you can also do tail weights. Most anything else can be drilled with a hand drill if you take your time.  You can cut lip slots with a fine jewelers saw or fine wood saw, I used to do them like that. You don't really need a belt sander unless you want to make some very specific plugs, like canal pencils, pikies or slopehead/trollers. I think you could probably do tail wraps with a pair of round nose pliers, and do without a vice if you don't have one. I mean, hell, even the lathe isn't really a necessity. Of course, it will make things significantly easier. Tool wise, you can skimp by if you take your time drilling, cutting, etc. Same for paint, use rattle cans to start. You could even do rattlecan clear coats if you wanted, although epoxy isn't particularly expensive. Point is, it does not have to be an expensive hobby, but if you get hooked like most of us here, that's when the expenses start piling up. 

Artist? Cheap lathe? Hmmm sounds like you may be headed for a painted turd. :wink:

Do your research here on the site, take your time and test your plugs, don't be in a rush to make them pretty.  If they don't swim, don't hold up in salt or actually catch fish. No pretty paint is going to make them worth a dam.

Jpcool where are you located? I am a professional wood turner and have given lots of woodturning lessons. Would be happy to give you and your friends some turning time.

I'm not a plug builder but could help you on your way? Let the shavings fly.

Cheers

Jpcool where are you located? I am a professional wood turner and have given lots of woodturning lessons. Would be happy to give you and your friends some turning time.

I'm not a plug builder but could help you on your way? Let the shavings fly.

Cheers

I live on Long Island.