Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NSflyguy

sunglass recommendations

Rate this topic

41 posts in this topic

Just broke my sunglasses. Before buying new, what says this forum about makes, models, lens color, etc.? 90% of my fishing is from shore and often in dawn/dusk hours...but these will be for general everyday use, too. Thanks,in advance.

For glass and polarization, Costa's and maui's make incredible lenses. You'll have to decide a tint color according to your needs.

I wear Smith's with brown lenses.  For dawn and dusk conditions you will want a lighter color lens.  Copper or even a rose color would be good..

Thanks for the input, folks. Replacing a Maui pair and have liked them. Also liked Smith previously but not quite as much. Never had Costas but a friend loves his.

I like Native with the removable lenses- lenses for cloudy days or early morning and lenses for sunny days

I'll 3rd the Costas. I have a pair with the green E400 or 500 glass and there amazing. Got them at Sportsmen's warehouse on closeout for $70

I have Costas, Oakleys, and Raybans, and I only fish with the Costas. They blow everything else out of the water. I have the 580 plastic in I think Copper and they are incredible.

Try as many as possible, everyone's eyes are different, and taking someone else's advice on lenses is silly. The best frames on the market are Maui Jim's, Smith's are nice if you can find a pair with spring hinges, Costa's/Oakley's fall apart.

Costas fall apart. The poly lens wears better than the glass. The glass lens are too heavy, but easy to see targets. Heard good things about Hobie. 

I had Maui Jim's and loved em but I dropped them in a pond.  I currently rock a $5 pair from Ocean State with amber lenses and they ain't that bad. 

Posted (edited)

Have Smith / AO's for non-prescription. Really like the amber lens color.

Bought a pair of Guideline prescriptions last year. Great customer service, wish I had done this years ago.

I've got a big mellon and a wide nose bridge so I wanted to make sure the frames fit well. 

They sent me several frame styles to try on before ordering. Placed the order and one week later had my glasses for less the $200.00 out the door.

As mention though, you'll get lots of opinions so best to try them on yourself before buying.

SF

Edited by Stonefish

Funny: Costa as was the clear frontrunner in early posts, then knocked for durability....maybe that $5 OSJL option isn't so crazy! Thanks for all the input.

Posted (edited)

Have owned and still own several MJ and Costas. The Costas have the more hip cool looks but IMO MJ has far superior lenses. The 580 from Costa are good but nothing compares the the new HT lenses from MJ. If you are buying them with fishing mostly in mind go MJ if you care more about fashion then Costas have better style.

Edited by foulhook

Posted (edited)

FWIW I have been happy with very inexpensive amber lensed flying fisherman glasses.  Yes, MJs are pretty awesome, but I am terrible at losing things and breaking things.  I mean, I had no problem spotting bone fish when I was in the keys this year.  Just a thought.  I wear clear tifosi cycling glasses at night for protecting from the errant clouser.

edit to say I've had the flying fisherman glasses for 3 years and they are still going strong (and I use them for not just fishing but driving as well)

Edited by greenmtnman