Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Andy

Speckled Trout

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

After a long dry spell, I finally caught something. What I thought was a 29 1/2" Weakie, turned out to be a Speckled trout. I thought these fish were found farther south, espesially this time of year? Here I was just about to pack it in for the year, I think I might have a couple of trips left after all

Cape May, On the last jetty at the pavillion. Dead low On a School Bus jointed bomber. I checked the stomach content, to find it was totaly empty. He was Hungry......

Good job Andy! That's a nice speck. How much did it weigh?

The post above is right about the yellow. When you catch one you'll know right away it isn't a weakie. There's a small clan of guys in Cape May who fish for the specks in the harbor area.

That's a real TROPHY spec, by the way...the run just a bit smaller than weakfish; really serious spec fishermen in Texas, Florida, etc. would KILL to catch one like that and a guy could fish 100 days a year and catch a mess of specs and not catch one that big in a year. A spec like yours is like getting a 40-45 lb. striper to those guys.

I have heard of them being caught in Southern NJ before. It's actually not as unusual as it seems (particularly considering water temps this year.) What I can't figure out is how basically none get caught in Delaware.

It's real obvious when you have a spec; I've only seen them in aquariums but they can be distinguished from weakfish at a glance because of the enormous spots.