Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mando

2015 Squid Fishing

Rate this topic

67 posts in this topic

So, up here in Maine, we do have some squid, but it doesn't seem that there are a lot, like you folks have. I've been marginally successful, at best.

The fishing is land based, no boat. 

I've tried casting out, letting it sink, sharp twitch of the rod, real back in repeat.... drop straight down into the water column, sharp twitch or two, let it rest, did this from the bottom all the way to a couple of feet under the surface, The question is such.... what method do you use to jig?

Which method produces the most favorable results?

I was out in boston harbour tonight, seen some huge squid hundreds of them at some point, I didn't manage to catch any though, my technique is probably terrible...

any good guide or tips for catching them?

I was out in boston harbour tonight, seen some huge squid hundreds of them at some point, I didn't manage to catch any though, my technique is probably terrible...

any good guide or tips for catching them?

I use a fresh water rod and yama****a jigs. Pink has always worked best. The jigs are around $12 a piece and have small weights on the side. I use a shallow and deep jigs. Get a headlamp so you can shine it on the jig so it will glow in the dark.

Don't jig it hard. A few twitches and let it sink. Jig it hard and if you have a squid you'll lose it. When you get one, don't reel too fast or try to "set the hook" as you'll lose the squid. I,ve found that usually I get squid when the jig is sinking. Every few minutes pull up the jig and recharge it.

If the jig is in the middle of a school, let it sit. They will come to it. Too much action will spook them. When I use the shallow jig and I see the school coming by in about 2 or 3 feet of water, I just let it sit in the water and they will come right up to it and grab it.

If you're able to shine a light on the water, that helps.

Edited by north-shore fisha

I use a fresh water rod and yama****a jigs. Pink has always worked best. The jigs are around $12 a piece and have small weights on the side. I use a shallow and deep jigs. Get a headlamp so you can shine it on the jig so it will glow in the dark.

Don't jig it hard. A few twitches and let it sink. Jig it hard and if you have a squid you'll lose it. When you get one, don't reel too fast or try to "set the hook" as you'll lose the squid. I,ve found that usually I get squid when the jig is sinking. Every few minutes pull up the jig and recharge it.

Yamasheeta is auto censored?

If the jig is in the middle of a school, let it sit. They will come to it. Too much action will spook them. When I use the shallow jig and I see the school coming by in about 2 or 3 feet of water, I just let it sit in the water and they will come right up to it and grab it.

thank you very much! I will try again tonight...is it possible that I just don't see them because they are too deep? I was very discouraged after a while I couldn't see them anymore so I assumed they were all gone...

thank you very much! I will try again tonight...is it possible that I just don't see them because they are too deep? I was very discouraged after a while I couldn't see them anymore so I assumed they were all gone...

If you know they are there and don't see them, then use the deep water jig.  If they are there, they will come to the jig.  I catch them from a pier so they are never more than 6 feet or so down where I am.  Not sure how far down they go in deeper water.  But if you can shine a light on the water, they will come to the light if they are in the area.