Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ASrod

Spiderwire Stealth Braided Line Strength Test (30 Pound)

Rate this topic

48 posts in this topic

On 11/29/2019 at 1:58 PM, Mahigo said:

I am thinking to buy the Spiderwire Stealth Pink Camo - Braided Line 30lb.

I wonder how is this line performs for distance casting a lure?

Any problems or not? Some braids are good with the lures but some not so good.

Is Daiwa J Braid 8x better or the same?

Thank you in advance,

Spiderwire stealth is THE WORST casting braid I've ever used.  Ever.. no question.. 

It's a great braid for conventional bottom fishing set-ups.. has exceptional abrasion resistance and good strength... But as far as a spin casting braid its absolutely awful.  

I'm not a big fan of jbraid x8 either but as far as casting goes it's much better than stealth..

If your looking for good distance and abrasion resistance is not an issue, try the jbraid grand.. casts like silk.. but has poor abrasion resistance

Or superslick v2 is nice as well.. a little stiffer than the grand but has better abrasion resistance also.. casts very very well IMO.. 

7 hours ago, Beachglass Guru said:

Spiderwire stealth is THE WORST casting braid I've ever used.  Ever.. no question.. 

It's a great braid for conventional bottom fishing set-ups.. has exceptional abrasion resistance and good strength... But as far as a spin casting braid its absolutely awful.  

I'm not a big fan of jbraid x8 either but as far as casting goes it's much better than stealth..

If your looking for good distance and abrasion resistance is not an issue, try the jbraid grand.. casts like silk.. but has poor abrasion resistance

Or superslick v2 is nice as well.. a little stiffer than the grand but has better abrasion resistance also.. casts very very well IMO.. 

I agree with you on the 30 lb. Daiwa J braid8X. It's nice line that casts great and is strong but I never noticed the poor abrasion problem. I only used it for half this season so maybe I need to fish with it a bit more. I also tried and really liked 30 lb. test Spiderwire Stealth too and found it to be a very good casting braid but considering I only used Original Fireline (14 and 20 lb.) in past I guess anything would be better in the casting department. Next season I plan on using both the Daiwa and Spiderwire again and will be ditching the original Fireline.

5 mins ago, VanStaalSteve said:

I agree with you on the 30 lb. Daiwa J braid8X. It's nice line that casts great and is strong but I never noticed the poor abrasion problem. I only used it for half this season so maybe I need to fish with it a bit more. I also tried and really liked 30 lb. test Spiderwire Stealth too and found it to be a very good casting braid but considering I only used Original Fireline (14 and 20 lb.) in past I guess anything would be better in the casting department. Next season I plan on using both the Daiwa and Spiderwire again and will be ditching the original Fireline.

I’m with you, I like Spiderwire Stealth for casting. It’s so much stronger than it’s rated size that I always buy one notch down. If I’m looking for 30 pound braid I’ll buy 20# Spiderwire Stealth. If I’m looking for 20# I’ll buy 10# spiderwire stealth. I’ve learned that certain braids are marketed to be the strongest 20# or 30# by being re-packaged heavier lines. Spiderwire stealth, in my opinion, is repackaged Whiplash. And (I suspect) they bumped the sizes down when they did so - the 30# Whiplash = 20# Stealth. The 50# whiplash = 30# Stealth. The 65# whiplash = 50 Stealth.

16 mins ago, TimS said:

I’m with you, I like Spiderwire Stealth for casting. It’s so much stronger than it’s rated size that I always buy one notch down. If I’m looking for 30 pound braid I’ll buy 20# Spiderwire Stealth. If I’m looking for 20# I’ll buy 10# spiderwire stealth. I’ve learned that certain braids are marketed to be the strongest 20# or 30# by being re-packaged heavier lines. Spiderwire stealth, in my opinion, is repackaged Whiplash. And (I suspect) they bumped the sizes down when they did so - the 30# Whiplash = 20# Stealth. The 50# whiplash = 30# Stealth. The 65# whiplash = 50 Stealth.

Interesting. I hit a snag with 30 lb. Spiderwire this season and couldn't break it. I ended up breaking the knot on the mono leader to snap. I had all I could do to break off from the bottom. I was impressed.

1 hour ago, VanStaalSteve said:

Interesting. I hit a snag with 30 lb. Spiderwire this season and couldn't break it. I ended up breaking the knot on the mono leader to snap. I had all I could do to break off from the bottom. I was impressed.

A similar thing happened the other day with my friend’s invisibraid. We were fishing an inlet and he hit a snag and ended up breaking the knot on the 50# mono leader before the 30# spiderwire would give.

I've been fishing 30 lb stealth on my main reel for 4 seasons.  I like it for casting compared to power pro and 832.  I don't know if anyone else noticed this, but it seems to get some minor fray pretty easily but I've never had a break off as a result of the line failing.

Thank you guys for your comments. 

During my last fishing trip I used Daiwa J-Braid 8x 30lb and my casting distance went down half way, I hardly get a ~120 yards at the most…. Not sure if this is the braid or reel that caused the problem. On my previous fishing trips I was using a 

no name braid, very soft braided line and at that time I was able to get a way better almost double casting distance….

That’s why I asked if the Daiwa J-Braid is the same as Spider Pink Camo….why the Spider? Because of the low price right now.

Is the Spiderwire Pink Camo-Braid 4 or 8 strands? Cant figure it out from this picture.

Spider Pink.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, Mahigo said:

Thank you guys for your comments. 

During my last fishing trip I used Daiwa J-Braid 8x 30lb and my casting distance went down half way, I hardly get a ~120 yards at the most…. Not sure if this is the braid or reel that caused the problem. On my previous fishing trips I was using a 

no name braid, very soft braided line and at that time I was able to get a way better almost double casting distance….

That’s why I asked if the Daiwa J-Braid is the same as Spider Pink Camo….why the Spider? Because of the low price right now.

Is the Spiderwire Pink Camo-Braid 4 or 8 strands? Cant figure it out from this picture.

Spider Pink.jpg

Don't get either of these, get yo zuri superbraid instead. I have thousands of yards of j braid, spiderwire, and power pro I will never use again. I prefer 20# but if you refer to @aqua-holic's very thorough spreadsheet you can find which breaking strength works best for you.

Dollar for dollar I don't think it can be beat *edit* added a screenshot 

C72FA113-98E1-4E74-AA3F-BC61A3F5C59E.jpeg

Edited by Sir Defyable
Added picture

30lb. Green stealth is what I've been using for over 10 years now. Have 20 lb. on a schoolie setup. Have tried them all and have found stealth is what I like best. Like jbaer stated it does seem to get minor fray on the part of the spool that's constantly traveling through the guides. But, it doesn't effect breaking strength. After a season I'll flip the spool.

Everyone has their own opinion when it comes to braid but, stealth is what I found I like the best.

Now I am confused a little because of different opinions… 

Most of the time my fishing is based on long distance casting the lures and because of that I am looking for braid relatively easy to cast a nice distance without a bigger problems. I need to go away from the no name cheap braid, they are not that bad if you’re casting non heavy lures…I had a lines snap with a 3 or 4oz lures, it’s not safe and so on... With the thiner line you can cast further but it’s dangerous for every one around and you can easily loose your expensive lure from time to time. 

Hmmm, very interesting what TimS says about Spiderwire method of pushing up the strength of the line. 

I am always using 30# and up….base on TimS statement I could go with 20# Spiderwire, this will be beneficial for me, thinner line equals more distance.

I am going back to aguaholic’s line test again to look closely for the optimal line for me. 

Thanks all of you guys for your outstanding comments.

On 8/4/2015 at 11:25 AM, DerrickT said:

Problem is you are lifting a dead load. Only lifting a dead load it wouldnt be out of the question to get more out of the line then what's it rated.

You put a working load on and its a completely different game.

What do you mean working load? You mean something pulling on the other end? I thought weight is weight

About Power Pro braid, does anyone gets breaks when snagged?  I was using 30lb PP on the surf with 20lb mono leader, hit a snag and it broke in my hand. I also hit a snag with 50lb PP from the pier with 30lb mono leader and it broke at the swivel knot (uni). Both PP bought from different providers. Funny thing, that Kastking braid never broke on me like that and always broke at the leader (20lb and 30lb). I like PP being thinner but it seems weak.

On 12/1/2019 at 8:45 PM, Mahigo said:

Hmmm, very interesting what TimS says about Spiderwire method of pushing up the strength of the line. 

I am always using 30# and up….base on TimS statement I could go with 20# Spiderwire, this will be beneficial for me, thinner line equals more distance.

Use the thinnest, smoothest braid you can get away with - always :) If you break off too often, use heavier braid. If you never break off and your casting distance sucks, use lighter braid. There's a balance that only comes from spending time fishing and experimenting...it's not a math problem,  there's no right answer for every situation...it's fishing ;)

TimS