Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ASrod

Spiderwire Stealth Braided Line Strength Test (30 Pound)

Rate this topic

48 posts in this topic

Where did it break? Above the loop? Or where the braid cut each other at the loop?

Maybe it's a thicker 30lb Spiderwire Stealth than the one that Paulus had a while back?

If you are getting 45 lbs with surgeon loop, that line's true ABS is north of 60 lbs.

Don't quite understand the logic here of the 30lbs period thing. Alot of lines are grossly under rated for actual breaking strength. Finding out the true strength would be better for a real world application than relying solely on factory ratings. If Im looking for a breaking strength of 30lbs but in reality can achieve that with the 20lb, that adds line capacity and distance. I dropped to 20lb Ultracast because was getting equal real world breaking strength after switching from 30lb power pro.

The USA convention is to list a "rated breaking strength" which is still above what most get after tying a knot.

Reason being is that knots weaken line (everyone knows this) but also weaken the line over time. All of us have had breakage because we were too lazy to retie after awhile when we know we should have.

If the line was listed at it's ABS then people would cry all the time that the line was weak and broke below the ABS all the time...simply because they tied a knot.

It also lets the line makers have some variation in quality and still meet their rated numbers and keep most happy.

What annoys me is that they don't tell you the actual thickness of the line. Everyone around here raves about Fireline and how strong the 20# is....well, yea, that's because it is just as thick as anyone else's 40# so of course it tests like other's 40#....and the resulting capacity proportionally is far less than other's 20#.

All you can do is go to Paulus site and compare thickness with ABS and then balance that with how the line handles for you when properly spooled.

Just like this test, the OP is obviously well meaning, but unless we know the Actual Line Thickness (ALT) then the result is only marginally useful ie its not an awesome result unless we know it is as thin as other 30# line.

And if you do that...you will find that most 30# line is around .310mm or so (+/-) and...wait for it...it all tests about the same in proportion to it's thickness which is shocking and surprising when they are usually using the exact same Dyneema fibers for construction... :)

The Japanese use a system where they just tell you the thickness of the line (but they don't tell you how strong it is!). This assumes you want to know how much actually fits on your reel (crazy :) ) but I guess assumes you just trust how strong it is given the basic expectations of line the same thickness (which is probably more accurate than selling you 20# line that is as thick as 40#)  :banghd: .

Edited by johndtuttle

Don't quite understand the logic here of the 30lbs period thing. Alot of lines are grossly under rated for actual breaking strength. Finding out the true strength would be better for a real world application than relying solely on factory ratings. If Im looking for a breaking strength of 30lbs but in reality can achieve that with the 20lb, that adds line capacity and distance. I dropped to 20lb Ultracast because was getting equal real world breaking strength after switching from 30lb power pro.

I think the true rating on most spectra braid is after it has some reasonable amount time on it. I have a hard time considering a 30lb line that breaks at 40 or 45 anything other than 30 over the course of it's life on my reel. A lot of good fisherman I know think otherwise and I respect that. Just have not found that to be the case. 

I agree with you for the most part redfin, just didn't want to see anyone deterred from independent testing. Not all lines are created equal from the get go, and even moreso down the road. I understand the conservative manufacturer ratings, but it is not always the best measure. Case in point my Ultracast comment. If I use it in a particular situation where Im lure casting and avoiding structure the 20lb is adequate for strength and longevity, so I use that for my light duty recreational stuff. For my daily stuff that gets beat up I made the switch from 30 to 40 recently. I let it get frayed, knicked, and burred out and don't have to cut it back after every fish. If so I would loose about 50yds a week so I go overkill. Its nice to have a starting point like forum research and Paulus, but until you fish the hell out of it that rating doesn't mean too much

I dont understand why line goes bad over time. I have had it happen with mono and fluoro and i chalk it up to me leaving it in my car but i have also seen it with braid. 

Strange ****

Edited by crazybellringer

I dont understand why line goes bad over time. I have had it happen with mono and fluoro and i chalk it up to me leaving it in my car but i have also seen it with braid. 

Strange ****

Ultraviolet rays

you mean my black light in my man cave?

Actually i do have a full spectrum bulb in the room i keep my stuff in. 

Edited by crazybellringer

I would think that friction through the guides, tension under load, type of coating, sand/salt/weeds not to mention rocks, pilings, and fish abrasions play a factor in line longevity besides uv breakdown. If it sits inside air and is never fished it may last forever, in the field it breaks down. I keep my bulk spools in my closet and never had an issue, left one in my trunk for a long time and that line developed an odd color and broke rather easily. Maybe heat plays a factor as well

Edited by dennysnook

Mono and fluro absorb and vent moisture.  Nylons breaks down over time, Flouro becomes hard and brittle.

Braid if left on the spool will be fine.   I have old stradic 2000 spools from the late 90s that has 20lb pp on it that i use for hanging stuff.....holds like a champ.

Offshore reels have 7 year old hollow core and it's fresh as a daisy.

I have a spool of kevlar that looks dark yellow while the non exposed line is light yellow.....looks like it oxidizes or something....

Not sure what any of this means....just some observations.

20lb seguar sts 100yard fluoro 15$ free shipping on ebay...20lb halo 200yds 25$ shipped ebay.......problem solved in about a week  :)  assuming by Floor...youment Fluoro :)

Alex go out in the yard and get a stick. Wrap the line around the stick and use the stick to pick up the weight. Stop using your hand and a sock, you will cut yourself.

I plan to try that. I did cut my hand up. On Monday I'll be able to do it properly, I'll finally be in an actual house. :)

Alex

Posted (edited) · Report post

I am thinking to buy the Spiderwire Stealth Pink Camo - Braided Line 30lb.

I wonder how is this line performs for distance casting a lure?

Any problems or not? Some braids are good with the lures but some not so good.

Is Daiwa J Braid 8x better or the same?

Thank you in advance,

Edited by Mahigo