Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ASrod

Spiderwire Stealth Braided Line Strength Test (30 Pound)

Rate this topic

48 posts in this topic

I was wondering what the actual strength of 30 pound Spiderwire Stealth Braid was. I read on Paulus and other sites that it exceeded the rated strength and broke at around 40-42lbs. I decided to bring a few yards of it when I went to the gym today and I wrapped it around the 30, 40 and 45 pound weights. It handled all three with ease and I am 100% positive it could go at least another 5-10 pounds before it would break. I didn't lift heavier because it did a number on my fingers even though I had one end of it wrapped in a sock. I tried to hold it up as long as I could before my fingers started hurting too badly. I'll try to go heavier in a couple days.

I got some video of the 45lb lift, here you go. :)

Alex

http://youtu.be/wOL8E21aceA

Edited by ASrod

Tie up a surgeons loop knot in the braid and hang it off that on a dowel or piece of wood . That way you can bounce it up and down and see when it snaps . Get back to us with your findings .

Alex, I absolutely love Spiderwire Stealth braid. I use mostly 30 and 20 and have a few small reels for the bay with 15 on them. I'm not sure why your doing this. If you are just curious, I get it. Personally, when people ask how strong 30lbs is I say 30lbs period. What it breaks at in the gym or anywhere else except the real world (especially with some time on it) is misleading to some degree.

I tied a loop on each end of the line and put on loop through the other and had one end of the line wrapped around a sock in my hand.

I'm going to do another test tonight or tomorrow.

Alex

So a loop knot held to 40lbs? 

What kind of loop knot did you use......bimini twist? 

Did anyone question what you were doing standing there with one sock on ?

No, but hey gave me a bunch of looks.... The gym managers are quite nice...

So a loop knot held to 40lbs? 

What kind of loop knot did you use......bimini twist?

The surgeons loop or whatever it's called. I just got back from testing it again, as I was holding up he 35lb weight, I sliced my finger... I guess I'll try 50 next week...

Alex

The surgeons loop or whatever it's called. I just got back from testing it again, as I was holding up he 35lb weight, I sliced my finger... I guess I'll try 50 next week...

Alex

Be careful,not worth getting cuts over. Braid can cut deep very fast.

Alex

Be careful,not worth getting cuts over. Braid can cut deep very fast.

Yeah, I don't think I'll try again for a while. It stings like a b*tch. I will have to start wrapping my fingers in tape when I fish. Ere a really good waterproof sports tape that I use for blisters, it will probably work wonders when I surf fish.

Alex

I"m tryin to figure out how you lifed 45lbs with 30lb braid that has a ABS of somewhere in the low to mid 40s......and you used a 70-80%  knot???????

Are you sure you used 30lb?

I hope you are actually workin out in there not just playing with knots

Edited by scoobydoo

I"m tryin to figure out how you lifed 45lbs with 30lb braid that has a ABS of somewhere in the low to mid 40s......and you used a 70-80%  knot???????

Are you sure you used 30lb?

I hope you are actually workin out in there not just playing with knots

I'm positive it's 30lbs. That's what the label said.

I work out in that gym every day. I do my P90X workout and then some extra stuff.

Alex

Alex, I absolutely love Spiderwire Stealth braid. I use mostly 30 and 20 and have a few small reels for the bay with 15 on them. I'm not sure why your doing this. If you are just curious, I get it. Personally, when people ask how strong 30lbs is I say 30lbs period. What it breaks at in the gym or anywhere else except the real world (especially with some time on it) is misleading to some degree.

Don't quite understand the logic here of the 30lbs period thing. Alot of lines are grossly under rated for actual breaking strength. Finding out the true strength would be better for a real world application than relying solely on factory ratings. If Im looking for a breaking strength of 30lbs but in reality can achieve that with the 20lb, that adds line capacity and distance. I dropped to 20lb Ultracast because was getting equal real world breaking strength after switching from 30lb power pro.

Problem is you are lifting a dead load. Only lifting a dead load it wouldnt be out of the question to get more out of the line then what's it rated.

You put a working load on and its a completely different game.