Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianBM

Little tunny or bonito yet?

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Water's pleasantly warm for bathing, I was surprised by how completely comfortable I was in shorts while wading this AM at Cupsogue.  Nothing biting save greenhead flies (ow).  ....  That said, anyone hear of any scombrid fish yet? 

read this earlier today... not little tunny or bonito but it speaks to how warm the local waters are:  

There have also been a surprising number of juvenile great white sharks — dozens — sighted, and these have ranged from 100 to 500 pounds.”

Add to this the sighting by an angler of an estimated 400-pound mako shark in just 25 feet of water off Montauk’s Gin Beach early in the week and it brings up a point experienced big-game anglers try to keep in mind: Sometimes the biggest fish can be found with the shortest ride.

full story.. google:  "big game fishing has been slow in the northeast but there are opportunities"

I was in Mtk this past Friday and the Gin Beach Mako was for real according to those in the know. Another told me about a dragger that came up with 11 Juvi GW's in a trawl somewhere on the East End South Side. 

First Bonito I read of was brought into MV about three weeks ago, haven't read or heard of others since. 

Water very warm and comfy for wading on the N Shore also, only sea robins eagerly taking flies on every cast though...and the green flies taking every inch of exposed skin on me!

Yeh.

My wife is still working.  She gets up at five and hates being awoken earlier.  I can't get up at five and make Cupsogue before first light, at least at this time of year, so the only real shot I have at first light is Saturday or Sunday morning. 

I can't complain too much, she doesn't seem to mind my partyboat expenses, and I've done that more this year than in the past five combined.

I was in Mtk this past Friday and the Gin Beach Mako was for real according to those in the know. Another told me about a dragger that came up with 11 Juvi GW's in a trawl somewhere on the East End South Side. 

First Bonito I read of was brought into MV about three weeks ago, haven't read or heard of others since. 

11 "federally protected" great white sharks killed in one day???

Please get some details!!!

JC

Edited by jason colby

11 "federally protected" great white sharks killed in one day???

Please get some details!!!

JC

As the jargon is floated marina to marina, boats over the radio, the boat I fished on heard this first hand. Could be true...could be bull donkey. They weren't targeted but picked up as by catch is all that was told to me. Yes 11, all juvis

Back to the OP, two bonito yesterday inshore off MV

Edited by brushfly

Well, I need something to encourage me, my season's pickin's this year are .. pathetic.  It would probably help if I'd retired with fewer honeydoos then is the case.

No great matter.  She's home one Tuesday (hairdresser's appontment) so I can be at Cupsogue for first light.  One light outfit optimized for the back, one for the front, no matta. We will see ... and I have partyboat hopes for this coming week too.  I want some good seabass in the freezer baaaaaadddly.  I wouldn't mind some big porgies either.  Bass and blues I want in the surf, not from a boat, unless it's a fly charter.