Circle hooks vs J-hooks for tile fishing

Rate this topic

Fishjp29

Hi guys was wondering what types of hooks you guys prefer for tile fishing? I'm a complete newbie when it comes to this type of fishing. I recently purchased a Black hole challenger bank 731H rod from jignpop and I'm playing on using a jmpe8 reel, any help would be greatly appreciated don't know if the action of this rod is better suited for one hook type or another since its not too stiff. I've been looking at rigs on reelseat.com and just would like some help before I buy anything thanks.

Edited by Fishjp29

I'm not a newbie to fishing just when it comes to tile fishing, I normally fish for cod and black sea bass in the winter months and since tile fishing seems very similar it has peaked my interest, but by no means am i an expert far from it but i can hold my own. Im familiar with using both circle and j hooks just i,ve always fished with long heavy rods and mono both bait/jigging. It will be my first time using a rod with this type of action so i don't know if i will benefit from one style or the other but thanks for your response sytheteacher.

I am by far no expert on tile or deep drop fishing, although I read everything I can get my hands on, have searched the net and spoken w/ many seasoned experts on the subject. I’m geared up for my first couple trips soon. My 1st two got canceled due to poor offshore drift conditions, for which I’m greatful to the captians for not just taking my $$$.

Here’s what I’ve noticed. The trend for deep drop bait fishing is more towards circles hooks. The reasoning seems to be that w/ J hooks one needs to set the hook. For tilefishing one is using big baits, big hooks w/ a big weight on the bottom VERY deep; therefore, setting the hook hard and quick enough is no easy task and fish are missed.  The other thing I heard is that if one misses a tile bite they often come back. All of these lend themselves to allow the tiles to eat your bait and allow eaither the drift, their movement or you simply reeling up and having them pull back and let the circle hook do it’s majic of setting it’s self.

Does this make sense? Do you tilefishing experts agree w/ this reasoning?

I’m interested in your resopnces also.

Thanks!

JD

P.S. Call the Reel Seat and ask for Dave A. He’s a bonified expert, as is Captain Jeff G on Voyager

Edited by jjdbike

About a 50/50 split of opinions when it comes to this subject. Some say at 500+ feet of line out you don't get much hook setting power even with braid. With the circles you use the weight of the fish along with a couple of real fast cranks of the reel to get a hook set. You don't jerk up on the rod with the hit, just reel like hell for a few turns and let the fish hook itself. I think there is not enough time spent on bait. Just make sure it's fresh and tuff.