Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Iwan

Plug Selection

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Hey Guys.

Newbie here just getting into surf fishing. I have a limited budget (around $50) and was looking for some advise regarding what plugs I should get to start out with. I've got a 9 ft Tica rod rated for 1/2 to 3 oz coupled with a Shimano 3500 baitrunner loaded with 30 lb power pro.

I was looking at buying some bomber plugs in black and schoolbus but I can probably stretch to about 3 or 4 other plugs/tins to add to my arsenal.

I was wondering if any of you had some suggestions as to what I should get to start out with. I will be mostly fishing Montauk and the south shore of LI especially around Long Beach, Rockaway and Breezy Point.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers !

get some polaris style poppers..super strike or gibbs, white and yellow. some bucktail jigs 1.5-2oz.white and yellow.Tins..kastmaster,hopkins,krocodile and charlie graves style.that should get you started.oh yeah get some pork rind bass strips for the bucktails.don't forget to checkout the online store.goodluck

think water column

colors yellow over white / blue o w / black purple/white ....

swimmers on top [ u can make them swim deeper by bending the wire eye up & vice versa]

pencilpoppers "

poppers " [yo-zuris little silver/black hydropopper is a terminator]

darters mid to high

pickies "

needles can float or sink so its your call

storm shads to get low as you can go.

IMG_5010.jpg

I was wondering because you tend to use different lures for night fishing. During the day you should definately have some poppers and surface swimmers like the Eel Punt and Choopy swimmers. smile.gif

Mostly daytime but the occasional fishing at dawn/dusk.

If you're only going to fish occasionally at dawn and dusk and not at night buy 1 popper for the occasional times you'll find blitzing fish and spend your $50 on a $25 K-mart bait rod, a pack of hooks, some leaders, a few sinkers, and a dozen clams.

Success with plugs will come hard if you just fish in broad daylight.

Success with plugs will come hard if you just fish in broad daylight.

Could not have said it better... Fish at night that is the best advice to any new surfcaster!!!!

The other time that works well is dawn. you can see pretty well 1/2 hour before published dawn, so, it won't be that difficult for a beginner. If I could only fish for 1 hour, it would be 1/2 hour before to 1/2 hour after dawn. Rarely will you find a crowd at dawn. wink.gif

If I could only fish for 1 hour, it would be 1/2 hour before to 1/2 hour after dawn. Rarely will you find a crowd at dawn

Beginner ?

Even if it's low tide?

thanks

My favorite spot, the most favorable conditions are dead low within 1/2 hour of dawn. It is an inlet. wink.gif

Rule for morning fishing---"Get up or get nothing!" Bucktails, like Smilin Bills, (with porkrind or curltail) are very effective and reasonably priced. Get some 1 & 2 ounce in white, yellow, chartreuse, red/white and black. They cast well, too.