Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dennysnook

Reel Gurus I need your help!

Rate this topic

52 posts in this topic

Is there anything mechanically that makes a torque better suited for water sking than the Stella, or vise versa. In actuality it is only a small percentage of jacks that get straight reeled or water skied, but goliaths and rocks are always an issue when fish get close. I don't know enough about internals to make the best educated desicision. To me the stella pg has alot more "torque" and feels like less stress on the reel while power cranking. Why, I do not know? Would hate to sell the torque over a freak incident if it will be best over the Stella in the long run. Everything else equal, you already know I prefer the Stella and why I use it, but may fall apart eventually. Have to make up my mind by time it gets back so builder can test cast for the custom.

The physical size of the Main Gear, length of the handle as well as the gear ratio all play a role. The trend is towards larger and larger main gears and the goofy looking geometry of the Spheros and Saragosa bodies is to accommodate the large main gears. This is also why the Stella gained something like 4oz over previous versions.

A Torque is a little more "old school" when it comes to the above parameters. The gear ratio is "middlin", the main gear size is middle of the road and there are no "power handles" available like you can get for a Stella:

P1000199.jpg

That's a "Yumeya" long handle on my Stella 20K that is commonly used to move heavy jigs but not to crank against the real load of a fish.

Anyways, that is the rub: You cannot get even modest cranking power in a spinning reel unless you pay a gear ratio and weight penalty. Penn took the middle path with the Torque to make it more fishable for the average guy (balance between weight and cranking power). It is extremely tough in normal use. If you try and crank in more than what easily allows the handle to turn in any spinning reel you are gonna blow them up. The 90 degree orientation of the main and pinion (versus inline in a conventional reel) is very inefficient  and puts more stress on gear teeth and the width of the rotor adds a lot of force you have to try and crank against that never gets better no matter how much line you have out. The rotor also adds a lot of twisting force that is nowhere near as well supported as it is in a conventional reel. Add to that oscillation mechanisms etc and it all wants to bind up when you try and crank against a load.

Conversely, at the bottom of the spool a conventional reel has significantly more cranking power, the inline gears use the strength of the teeth ideally and it all is held together in alignment by an overall way better support system.

Fundamentally a spinning reel is for casting a wide variety of weight/windage stuff into the wind and for ease of fishing. A conventional reel is for cranking and ease of catching....if we speak in very general terms.

Edited by johndtuttle

Even a slow guy like me could understand that. I knew the torque had a higher gear ratio at 5.9:1 than my 4.6:1 but even with comparable hgs I have fished the Stella, Catalina, and Saltiga felt much less stress on the turn under load. Thank You

Yea, I gotta say, I always laugh when I look at that Yumeya handle. The handle plus the aftermarket knob is about $200 lol.

And people complain about what an SSV or Battle II can do for half that much money. An SSV is amazingly capable for the coin (with careful use! :) ).

Picked up a used Stella 8k SW PG today for a good deal that fit my current budget. If there is anything I should look out for maintenance wise, anyone with experience please advise? Expecting the Penn back Tuesday and haven't recieved anything on my credit card yet. Sent it last Friday and got return tracking notification on Wednesday, faster than my 2500 Stella I sent out the same day. Really satisfied with their turnaround

I have that reel....i didn't like the slow retrieve and put a new gear set in it......both served flawlessly for over 1000 fish.   From bass to tuna......best reel I've ever fished.  

That reel is ideal for what you are using it for.  

Keep an eye on the coating on the line roller and spool lip...not a big deal but i've had the DLC coating come off in those areas.....Comes with use and abuse so no harm no foul.  Line roller was replaced during service.

Very torquey reel for a spinner.  I'd get rid of the knob....i'm not a fan of the avet and shimano large knobs anymore...they were cool when they first came out.....but over the years with sun, guts, suntan lotion....they get too tacky or melt...causing blisters

I had the 5k sw xg for a little while, but wasn't nearly as powerful as my 6K swb pg so I sold it off. Have used this same reel a few times, but is my first 8k Stella. Im not sure if Im getting the SOM handle or Jerry Brown HC, told the seller to choose, so will have see. I always have liked the septon and shape, but had similar tacky issues on other reels in the past. Will upgrade SOM, jigging master, or new swb knob if I have any issues. Would something like reel magic or anything like that be beneficial to coating preservation?

Denny, if you don't need the full line capacity, a half empty spinning reel has substantially more cranking power than a full spool one. You are effectively lowering the gear ratio and increasing cranking power. But a conventional sounds like the way to go for what  you want to do.