Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
big country

Creek Chubb Pikies/Jointed Pikies...

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I saw the above plugs in great colors at a store in montauk dirt cheap ($3.50-$4.50) in a clearance bin and I picked up a few to try out... Ive never used them, but they look great... anyone use these now or in the past? I would appreciate your feedback...

Do they work for both bass and blues? any other applications? Night/Day? fast slow? customizations???

thanks,

bc

bigcountry...the only time I've heard of the jointed ones being referred to affectionately

was in regard to the "giant" jointed pikie minnows known as "jointed eels." They were mentioned in a Frank D. book...I think it was Striper Surf....

B.C.

Are they the smaller 6-7" plastic ones?

Iv'e had some real good action on the shallow L.I. sound beaches at night fished along a jetty or rock pile real slow,the lips on em are a bit longer than a jr. atom or danny, so they tend to dig in and run deeper if cranked too fast..they made one in an all chrome pattern,try that this time of year if you can get one,dead ringer for the snappers!

Now if your talking the big wooden mommas/jointed or straight body,i'll give ya twice what you paid for em biggrin.gif

BC Remind me tomorrow. I'll show you the original and my knock off version. If I ever get a baby sitter and more than 5 minutes to scrape together, in my "lab", I was (some day) planning on making another batch. I got all the stuff, I got the stainless lips, the thru-wire, etc. etc. And they do indeed work.

Otherwise you are gonna pay collector's prices. If its the original giant pickie (the big one) geez its gotta be worth $25-35 each, maybe more.

[This message has been edited by JohnP (edited 08-07-2001).]

After WW2, before many manufacturers switched over to peacetime items, there was a shortage of lures for surfcasting. The jointed Pikie was pressed into sea-duty despite never having been designed for that service.

The most popular version was the large, jointed "redhead" (red head/white body). They are shallow swimmers that sway seductively at low speeds. Work 'em slow!

All this being said, I should be honest and add that I have never caught anything on one, although fairness dictates adding I almost ALWAYS select something else.

Flounder

Dude if they are wood, you scored, PM me where you got em, I have some 1940's Lido flappy tails of my grand dads, when he was in the surf, and i would love to add to my collection,which by the wat just hangs on a diplay net as they are all used.

Mike L

If they are the older wooden Creek Chub Giant Pikie, you made a great find, especially at that price. If thats the case, they probably would be best off kept for display/collection purposes. The Creek Chub Giant Pikie Minnow has been a long time favorite of many of the guys that fish the rocks just outside the Golden Gate. Many big fish were taken on these plugs. pikiemike

Creek chub made many versions of the famous Pikie minnow.It's probably the most produced lure of all time.There were dozens of versions made specifically for the salt as well as other lures early as the mid twenties.There are Striper pikies both straight and jointed.(1950 to 1978).There is a straight snook pikie(1929 to 1978)a jointed Snook Pikie(1938 to 1978),a Tarpon Pikie(1933 to 1961).There are also standard Pikies as far back as the twenties that were factory customized for saltwater use.A popular pikie for striper fishing before the Striper pikie was marketed was the Husky pikie.This lure turns up in saltwater colors fairly often.Both company catolog colors and customised colors as well.

Creek Chub made quite a few other saltwater lures specifically for the northeast saltwater angler as well, including a really nice swimmer called a surfster.There are also giant Pikies(60 to 78)Three jointed pikies(59 to 78)Musky pikies, a kingfish pikie, also a salmon pikie(30's to the 50's) for northwest coast salmon fishing in the ocean.All of which found they're way into a striper's mouth at one time or another.

Plastic spin pikies(which is probably what you found in that store)are pretty common.If they are less than 5.00 bucks though they are worth buying to fish with.You can buy them all day long at the lure collector shows.

If you have some old saltwater lures don't get your hopes up too much if they are used.It's been my experience that the collectors want them new in the box if possible.It's gotta be pretty tough to find to sell for a lot if it's not in pretty good shape.