Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianBM

Calcutta TE700

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I compared the old C700 with the new TE700 today, to the extent you can do so by playing with them in a store. The new one is much narrower in the spool and looks better proportioned. The pushbutton free spool on the first one is replaced by a lever free throw on the new one, and cranking does not engage it; you must throw the lever. Big surprise was how much taller the new reel is. The top of a loaded spool will be much higher on a rod then the top of the spool on the earlier reel, so your thumb'll have to stretch a bit. If you buy a reel with a levelwind, you're presumably looking for the best possible line control anyway, but don't buy this one sight unseen. I'd guesstimate the height of the loaded spool as much the same as that on a GS 535.

I had the older Calcutta 700...got rid of it because the spool was just to wide, making thumbing on line for the non-level wind a bit tough...also the drag stack and handle were so off center that there was noticeable rod rock when cranking...very annoying to me.

Does not surprise me that the height is as you say...that's how Shimano made up for the lost line capacity when they narrowed the spool. On a thick butt rod like a Heaver, it may be hard to hold the spool during the initial cast for those that don't have large hands. The older Calcutta had the smoothest drag of any conventional reel, bar none...I am assuming that the new version continues w/ this...

img00011.gifimg00013.gifimg00012.gif

Doesn't seem to be a hot item here. cwm13.gif I was pretty impressed with the CTE 700 photo thread on ****. That got my interest up! It seems to be head and shoulders better than the C 700. I have two C 400's which I use mostly on the downrigger. I would think the CTE 700 would be great on a surf rod. Sure be interested to hear from someone using it in the surf!

Bill

I use an older 700 for bait. Like has been said- a bit wide and off center handle placement makes casting feel like work. Very happy w/ as a bait reel.

Well, it's a $400 reel, so the first user reports here won't come from me. The 400 seems a little small to my taste for surf use, but Sergio and DJ have both expressed concerns about the pinion on the Penn 975 (the logical next up, sizewize and ergonomically). I expect there will be a son-of-Morrum along, sooner or later, from Abu; maybe it'll be worth a look.