Beach A Cow

United States Military Academy Class of 2019 R-Day Photos

Rate this topic

136 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Shipwreck said:

Outstanding thread.

 

My youngest leaves for Fort Leonard Wood on Tuesday.  He enlisted right out of High School.  35 November MOS

 

Mom and I are FREAKING OUT!  Trying to keep it together for him.  He is our best bud and I cant believe its time for him to leave us.

 

God help us...

My son is leaving for Fort Leonard Wood on the 6th for BOLC. He doesn’t have to be there until the 12th but wants to settle in early. He’ll be driving from NJ so I’m a little nervous as he’s never driven that distance alone. He’ll be there until November sometime then, home for a short break before leaving for South Korea on his birthday Dec 8th.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Beach A Cow said:

My son is leaving for Fort Leonard Wood on the 6th for BOLC. He doesn’t have to be there until the 12th but wants to settle in early. He’ll be driving from NJ so I’m a little nervous as he’s never driven that distance alone. He’ll be there until November sometime then, home for a short break before leaving for South Korea on his birthday Dec 8th.

William,

Wow, a brand new Butter Bar! Congrats. I remember the day I received my commission. Parents all puffed up with pride, but dreading my going off to war. Give your son my best. Truly an honor to meet him at the academy. We gotta get together for some fishing in the fall.

Bob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Beach A Cow said:

My son is leaving for Fort Leonard Wood on the 6th for BOLC. He doesn’t have to be there until the 12th but wants to settle in early. He’ll be driving from NJ so I’m a little nervous as he’s never driven that distance alone. He’ll be there until November sometime then, home for a short break before leaving for So suth Korea on his birthday Dec 8th.

How strange is that?  And yesterday is the first time I saw this awesome thread.  You must be very proud.  We, at this point, are really having a tough time with him leaving tomorrow.  He is ready, but mom and I are not, lol.  Pray we make it though the next two days...  And by the time I graduated from college, I had been across the country by myself 4 times.  He will be fine.  Congratulations on your boy's accomplishment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The most difficult part for me was the “Empty Nest Syndrome” being a single parent. It’s still a struggle at times.... Just don’t be that Helicopter Parent, we gotta let them make their own way. The best advice I can give is when you get that first letter, phone call let him vent... Just listen... Don’t ask a lot of questions as he’ll already be under a lot of pressure and you don’t want to add to the stress. Stay Strong, Lean on one another.... Know that you and your wife raised him right! When you get time look up West Point Reception Day Parade for USMA Class of 2019. Via YouTube....Watch til the end.... I can honestly say that I lost it for a few mins.... Proud, chilling, shock and awe moment for sure... I still get goose bumps.... Be sure to turn the volume up.... Keep us updated on how your son is doing and if you have to vent just reach out... Prayers!! 

 

Will H

Edited by Beach A Cow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/30/2019 at 8:00 AM, Beach A Cow said:

The most difficult part for me was the “Empty Nest Syndrome” being a single parent. It’s still a struggle at times.... Just don’t be that Helicopter Parent, we gotta let them make their own way. The best advice I can give is when you get that first letter, phone call let him vent... Just listen... Don’t ask a lot of questions as he’ll already be under a lot of pressure and you don’t want to add to the stress. Stay Strong, Lean on one another.... Know that you and your wife raised him right! When you get time look up West Point Reception Day Parade for USMA Class of 2019. Via YouTube....Watch til the end.... I can honestly say that I lost it for a few mins.... Proud, chilling, shock and awe moment for sure... I still get goose bumps.... Be sure to turn the volume up.... Keep us updated on how your son is doing and if you have to vent just reach out... Prayers!! 

 

Will H

Thank you, we are taking any and all advise, lol

He leaves us in 5.5 hours...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I left for the service in 1965, it seemed like going on a great adventure and getting away from old, stale home.  Young men are careless with their parents' hearts and I didn't realize how much I was breaking mine.  Only later in life with children of my own did I realize how much I would worry and miss them with our daughter in Florida and our son moving to Arizona.  He took four days to drive out to Flag Staff and I worried for him every day.  And he was just going off to get a second college degree.  Our daughter was married and had her husband to look after her and her of him.  But I still worried.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/29/2019 at 7:37 AM, Shipwreck said:

Outstanding thread.

 

My youngest leaves for Fort Leonard Wood on Tuesday.  He enlisted right out of High School.  35 November MOS

 

Mom and I are FREAKING OUT!  Trying to keep it together for him.  He is our best bud and I cant believe its time for him to leave us.

 

God help us...

God will help you and yours.  He is in my daily prayers now and til he

arrives home Safe and Strong!

 

RJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello All!! My DS made it to Fort Leonard Wood safely!  For BOLC. He left around 5 am yesterday, made a few stops including visiting the Flight 93 Memorial. He drove until he was south of Indianapolis then checked into a hotel for the night. (Smart Move) :)Now he has a few days to just relax as he doesn’t have to report until the 12th. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally got my boy's address.  He is in D co 1-58th Regiment.  He made it through reception I guess and is in 1 week into red phase.  Me and mom finally stopped crying every ten minutes about 5 days ago.  Wish I could talk to him, but I trust the Army knows what its doing.  Glad your boy got there safe and sound.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 mins ago, Shipwreck said:

Finally got my boy's address.  He is in D co 1-58th Regiment.  He made it through reception I guess and is in 1 week into red phase.  Me and mom finally stopped crying every ten minutes about 5 days ago.  Wish I could talk to him, but I trust the Army knows what its doing.  Glad your boy got there safe and sound.

Rest easy, he'll be fine.  But that "Army knows what it is doing" thing, I'm not so sure about. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 mins ago, Knight771 said:

Rest easy, he'll be fine.  But that "Army knows what it is doing" thing, I'm not so sure about. :)

I can't believe you'd say that about the army! 

My cousin was working for Vertol, as a telemetry systems expert. He had a background in engineering and metallurgy when he was drafted. He had been working on helicopters.  In their infinite wisdom they made him a truck driver at Fort Dix! Given his civilian driving record, it's a wonder no one at the Fort was killed!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 mins ago, nam1969 said:

I can't believe you'd say that about the army! 

My cousin was working for Vertol, as a telemetry systems expert. He had a background in engineering and metallurgy when he was drafted. He had been working on helicopters.  In their infinite wisdom they made him a truck driver at Fort Dix! Given his civilian driving record, it's a wonder no one at the Fort was killed!

 

That's them all over!!!  Got to go.  More later. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Knight771 said:

Rest easy, he'll be fine.  But that "Army knows what it is doing" thing, I'm not so sure about. :)

Amen on that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.