Beach A Cow

United States Military Academy Class of 2019 R-Day Photos

Rate this topic

135 posts in this topic

These pictures remind me of the camaraderie that existed in my basic training unit as we progressed through the weeks. Broken down as individuals, we became a unit, forcing each other to finish each course/exercise. That training, plus the advanced MOS courses, served us well in Nam.

Various pictures from Acceptance Day for the class of 2019.. The last two pictures are from Spirit Night this past Thursday and the results thereafter..

post-14790-0-79369500-1440379515_thumb.jpg

post-14790-0-33668800-1440379540_thumb.jpg

post-14790-0-11572000-1440379565_thumb.jpg

post-14790-0-29520800-1440379582_thumb.jpg

post-14790-0-13689900-1440379610_thumb.jpg

post-14790-0-67129700-1440379646_thumb.jpg

post-14790-0-82705900-1440379669_thumb.jpg

post-14790-0-45413900-1440379720_thumb.jpg

post-14790-0-42639700-1440379747_thumb.jpg

post-14790-0-63093700-1440379766_thumb.jpg

post-14790-0-62710300-1440379812_thumb.jpg

post-14790-0-50742500-1440379830_thumb.jpg

post-14790-0-98442600-1440379866_thumb.jpg

post-14790-0-20044300-1440379893_thumb.jpg

post-14790-0-27482300-1440379909.jpg

Your son make out OK in that "pillow fight." News reports said 30 hurt, mostly concussions. All back on duty. Boys will be boys (and I assume the girls also got in their shots).

Your son make out OK in that "pillow fight." News reports said 30 hurt, mostly concussions. All back on duty. Boys will be boys (and I assume the girls also got in their shots).

Bob, my son made out fine during this Pillow Fight... He was prepared, he wore his helmet and kevlar vest.. He was warned by his company leader that things can get ugly.. I read the reports, sadly they are inaccurate as at least 12 cadets suffered from broken noses, 8 with broken bones and one cadet suffered from a brain injury so severe that they wont be able to complete the current academic year.. I understand the concept of letting off steam with the pillow fight but, to load your pillow case with locks, cans of soup, combat helmets... I tell you this much all are not back to duty, I personally know of 2 cadets that were sent home... When I first found out about this was via text messages from other parents asking if my son was ok. I was at work, didnt hear from him for a day and a half.. Was I pissed sure, but knew that my son wouldnt take the opportunity to injure a cadet mate. Im pretty sure some involved will be relived of duty and kicked out of West Point.. 

BEC - The Commandant is a guy I worked with some years ago.  He WILL get to the bottom of it. This type of behavior is antithetical to what they are trying to build at the Point.  The culprits will be identified and run out.  That is NOT the behavior expected of a warrior.  You do NOT injure a team mate nor leave them on the field of battle.  

I was saddened to hear of this but I know the Commandant will get it cleared up.  He is an honorable guy.  

BEC - The Commandant is a guy I worked with some years ago.  He WILL get to the bottom of it. This type of behavior is antithetical to what they are trying to build at the Point.  The culprits will be identified and run out.  That is NOT the behavior expected of a warrior.  You do NOT injure a team mate nor leave them on the field of battle.  

I was saddened to hear of this but I know the Commandant will get it cleared up.  He is an honorable guy.  

The fact that William's son was warned that things could get ugly speaks to a history leading up to this. Obviously, things will change now. I was saddened to hear from William that there were serious injuries. The news reports said that everyone was back in action. Great reporting! 

My commission was through the ROTC program and I/we experienced the usual physical/mental grind that everyone must go through to form a cohesive unit. I never, however, felt physically threatened by my superiors or comrades and would never load up a pillowcase with objects that could purposely injure another. 

The Point is a wonderful institution and puts out some fine officers. I trust that the Commandant will address this issue ASAP and ensure it doesn't happen again.

My wife and I are heading up to the Point for the Rutgers/Army game and I hope to meet up with William and his family and be introduced to his son. If you're up there for the game, PM me and we can say hello.

Lightning Forward,

Bob

He will.  The current commandant is also the dude that was the brigade CDR in the 101st when a member of his unit was beat to death for coming out as gay.  The fact that he survived that incident is almost inconceivable.  he still bears the scars from that.  he'll fix that 'culture'. 

I've got my own issues with West Pointers but all on all it is an honorable institution and puts out some good people.  

The fact that William's son was warned that things could get ugly speaks to a history leading up to this. Obviously, things will change now. I was saddened to hear from William that there were serious injuries. The news reports said that everyone was back in action. Great reporting! 

My commission was through the ROTC program and I/we experienced the usual physical/mental grind that everyone must go through to form a cohesive unit. I never, however, felt physically threatened by my superiors or comrades and would never load up a pillowcase with objects that could purposely injure another. 

The Point is a wonderful institution and puts out some fine officers. I trust that the Commandant will address this issue ASAP and ensure it doesn't happen again.

My wife and I are heading up to the Point for the Rutgers/Army game and I hope to meet up with William and his family and be introduced to his son. If you're up there for the game, PM me and we can say hello.

Lightning Forward,

Bob

Bob,

We will be there! As well as the Duke vs Army and Army vs Navy games..